Chapter 21

I am deeply sorry. I have neglected my role as an author, and I apologize. I hope y'all can forgive me. As I post this, know I have the rest of this story outlined. Don't worry. I will finish this story, write a few one shots maybe (anyone has any requests?) and relax a bit. RL has been hard but I'm coming back.
Bella's POV
Five days later, and my nerves haven't calmed. The imminent fight on the horizon made me anxious. The Volturi are strong and powerful but how can they withstand the weight of so many covens against them? I was terrified of losing anyone.
"Bella, it's time. Carlisle is here with his army. We must go to the throne room." Aro tells me somberly. I attempt a smile but it comes out as a grimace. Aro, my mate, if I lost him, I'd die. I would have nothing.....the thought shakes me and I squeeze his hand.
"Let's go." I say, fighting the newborn urge to kill, attack, anything! I force myself to calm and focus on Aro's steady breathing. I lace my fingers with his and we walk to the throne room and I take my seat on Aro's lap. He wraps his arms around me protectively and I relax slightly. Caius and Marcus sit like statues on their throne, but Caius winks at me imperceptibly.

Carlisle stands in the center of the room, and I see unknown covens surrounding him.
"Carlisle...." I breathe out. My heart clenches at seeing him, my former father figure, so disheveled and angry. He was so calm, so serene and now he looks close to a rabid animal. His eyes snap to me, and rage fill his honey eyes.
"Bella, please! I beg you, turn your back to these monsters and come with me, to your family." Carlisles tone holds promise, but I will not be swayed by the promise of family. I have one already.

"Carlisle, I must decline." My ringing tone carries a across the room. "I am with my family. But I ask of you to stand down. No one needs to be hurt. You can go, Carlisle." I tell him. In my heart I know his answer. His face tightens and a shadow of hurt crosses his face before being replaced by an insane glimmer in his eyes.
"Attack." As soon as the syllables leave his lips, the throne room turns into a battle ground. Our guard keeps into action to defend their castle and Carlisles troops fight back vigorously.

Aro grasps my hand tightly.
" I love you." He says earnestly and I want to cry in the unfairness of it all.
"Aro, this isn't goodbye!" I sob out and he gives me a half hearted grin that twists my heart.
" I know." I whisper my love to him and then he spins into action, removing limbs and heads from those who threaten his family. I wish to follow in steps, but I need to make myself useful.
My eyes scan the room and I see Felix struggling with a gifted one. Kate is her name, her blonde hair unmistakable. Felix jerks in pain at her electrifying touch and I leap into her, knocking her to the ground and decal taking her and Felix catches his breath.
"Thanks." He gasps out and I smile quickly before leaping onto a vampires back that was attacking one of the lower guard.

My eyes look for Aro and I see him trying to escape the clutches of a small, but deadly child. I surround Aro with my shield, but too late. Across the room, our eyes meet and I watch as a little girl with the power of paralysis rips his arms off as he roars in pain. My mating pull reacts and I take off in a flash, and my hand flexes around her throat within milliseconds, holding her against the wall, my teeth at her neck as I rip her heart out mercilessly.
Protect mate, help mate. I grab Aro's arms and his body and run, leaping and dodging attacks at me. Finally at a safe haven in the castle , I tell Aro to wait there for me. I see his pain and it hurts me to leave him but I know I must.
"Heal Aro, I will go back to protect the rest." He protests weakly as I leave, feeling my body tire, but determination courses through me.
I see us tiring and slowing down, but in one final stretch, I leap at Carlisle with a heavy heart. He cackles and dodges me, holding Jane by the neck over a bonfire. But I see this too late.
"Carlisle, no!" I shout before he throws her in the roaring flames, and her pain filled screams pierce my ears and heart. I rip his head off and burn him along with Jane and his troops scatter, lost without their leader. I kneel by the bonfire, overcome with pain. Jane.....gone.
I scream, I rip my hair, my fists pound the floor, creates cracks. I feel Caius's hand on my shoulder but I continue to scream.

Minutes, hours, days pass. The fire dies, the throne room cleaned. Aro kneels beside me, and venom fills my eyes once more.
"She didn't deserve this." I murmur and curl up into my mates arms.
"I know." He echoes back. He soothes me, whispering words of comfort into my ears and I allow myself to close my eyes and mourn the deaths of so many.

---
Weeks pass and the pain doesn't lessen. Volterra is almost fully restored. We hosted a ball to commemorate our victory. We asserted dominance once more. But I felt empty as we replaced the guard with new faces. So many missing.
Aro being the only thing keeping me sane, stayed with me.
"Bella, it's been over three months. Let's go on a vacation, hmmmm? Somewhere isolated and warm?" At first, I resist. How could we leave? But Aro reassured me Volterra was safe and I gave in.
Hours later, we boarded a private jet. It did feel better taking off. Away from my worries and the place I had lost and gained so much. Maybe I did need a vacation.

The days we spent on the island were surreal. The water, the sun, the sand. I felt so free. Aro and I re-explored our intimacy in a very exciting way and we walked around without fear of someone seeing our nature. As Aro and I laid on the beach, my fingers tracing patterns in his chest, I asked him if he was happy.

"Cara Mia, I am with the woman I love. I am overjoyed." He all but purred. I smile and kissed his shoulder, pleased with his response.
" I love you too." I tell him. He smiles and rests his chin on my head.