XII - Joshua And A Change Of Heart

EMMA's POV

I gripped the sides of the boat as the Phantom furiously propelled it onwards, screaming, "Down once more to the dungeon of my black despair! Down we plunge to the prison of my mind! Down that path into darkness deep as hell!" and I looked up at him desparingly. "Why?" I cried, and he rounded on me. "Why, you ask, was I bound and chained in this cold and dismal place? Not for any mortal sin, but the wickedness of my abhorrent face!"

I could hear voices above us, a mob, by the sound of it. "Track down this murderer! He must be found!" I shivered, as the boat moved through the water. I could feel the raw pain in my Angel's voice as he nearly cried, "Hounded out by everyone! Met with hatred everywhere! No kind word from anyone! No compassion anywhere! Emma, Emma. Why, why?"

We reached the underground lair I was brought to before, the candelabras still flickering. I could hear the mob still, fear growing in my stomach. "Track down this murderer - he must be found! Hunt out this animal, who runs to ground! Too long he's preyed on us - but now we know: the Phantom of the Opera is there deep down below. He's here: the Phantom of the Opera!"

The Phantom dragged me roughly out of the boat, my white gown dragging on the rocks. I, fed up, screamed, "Have you gorged yourself at last, in your lust for blood? Am I now to be prey to your lust for flesh?" He looked at me coldly, the skin I exposed looking red and raw, pulled tightly over one side of his face like a skull. "That fate, which condemns me to wallow in blood has also denied me the joys of the flesh. this face - the infection which poisons our love. This face, which earned a mother's fear and loathing. A mask, my first unfeeling scrap of clothing. Pity comes too late - turn around and face your fate: an eternity of this before your eyes!"

I looked calmly back into his face, and said, "This haunted face holds no horror for me now. It's in your soul that the true distortion lies." He stiffened, and turned to the portcullis, spreading his arms wide. "Wait! I think, my dear, we have a guest! Monsieur, this is indeed an unparalleled delight! I had rather hoped that you would come. And now my wish comes true - you have truly made my night!" He called, and with shock, I saw Joshua, gripping the bars of the gate.

"Free her! Do what you like only free her! Have you no pity?" He screamed at the Phantom, and the Phantom crossed his arms, turning to me. "Your lover makes a passionate plea." He said dryly. I sighed, running my hand down my face. "Go away, Joshua." I called, but he ignored me. That made me slightly angry.

"I love her! Does that mean nothing? I love her! Show some compassion." He yelled, and the Phantom snarled furiously. "The world showed no compassion to me!" He screamed, and my heart twisted. Why hadn't I seen it before. All he wanted was love, and I denied him when he had done so much for me.

"Emma! Emma! Let me see her." Joshua pleaded, and my Angel sighed. "Be my guest." He opened the gates, calling to Joshua. "Monsieur, I bid you welcome! Did you think that I would harm her? Why should I make her pay for the sins which are yours?"

Quick as a viper, he taunted Joshua as he looped a noose around my fiance's neck. "Order your fine horses now! Raise up your hand to the level of your eyes! Nothing can save you now - except perhaps Emma." I stared at Joshua as the Phantom called to me.

"Start a new life with me - Buy his freedom with your love! Refuse me, and you send your lover to his death! This is the choice - This is the point of no return!" He yelled, and Joshua pleaded in the silence. "Emma, forgive me please forgive me. I did it all for you, and all for nothing. Either way you choose, he has to win." He said, and I turned away, unable to look at him.

"Angel of Music..." I murmured, as the Phantom and Joshua vied for my response.

"For either way you choose, you cannot win! So, do you end your days with me, or do you send him to his grave?"

"Why make her lie to you, to save me? For pity's sake, Emma, say no!"

"Why this torment?" I wondered aloud. I could save the Angel of Music. Joshua would never let me see him again. "Don't throw your life away for my sake. When will you see reason? I fought so hard to free you." He cried out, and again I whispered, "Angel of Music..." This time, the Phantom called to me. "You try my patience - make your choice!"

I reflected for a moment, and then realized what I should do. What I wanted to do. I turned towards the Phantom again, and with resolution began to walk towards him. Towards my angel. "My pitiful angel of darkness...What kind of life have you known? God give me courage to show you, you are not alone!" I said, and as I reached him, I reached up, and took his face in my hands. I stood on my tip toes, as Phantom was so tall, and pressed my lips to his.

He jolted a bit, but I kept my hold. His lips were warm and soft, and his shaking arms encircled me very slowly. Joshua let out a pained gasp as I pulled back, giving the Phantom a gentle smile as his startled honey colored eyes bored into my face, bewildered and overjoyed.

I kissed him again, long and full. This was worlds away from kissing Joshua, not cold and emotionless. Rather, this was warm, gentle, and welcoming. Our embrace lasted a long time, and I cradled the disfigured side of his face gently, the skin rough under my fingertips. Joshua was watching in horror, and I pulled my Angel into my arms, holding his large body to mine. His strong arms rested hestiantly around me, and his breath came in quick, startled pants.

"Angel of Music...friend and lover, stay by my side, guide me..." I said, and he let out almost a sob as he finally crushed my body to his, pressing his good cheek to the top of my head. This felt...right. Why had I been so blind before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~