II ~ Through The Looking Glass

Emma's Point of View

"Emma Daae!" the man said, striding into the room. I looked up, bewildered.

"Do you still have your red scarf?" He asked, back to me.

"I'm sorry?" I said, picking up my brush again.

"You can't have lost it. Not after all the trouble I went to to get it. After all, I was only fourteen, shivering and soaked to the skin--" He said, and I cut him off with a smile.

"Because you had run into the sea to fetch my red scarf! Oh, Joshua, it is you!" I said, and he grinned, turning around as I threw myself into his arms. 

"Little Lotte, let your mind wander..." He said, and I smiled. "You remember that too!" 

"Little Lotte thought, 'Am I fonder of dolls, goblins, or of shoes, picnics in the attic, or of chocolate..." He sang in a low voice, smiling.

"Father playing the violin!" I smiled, and he grinned wider, taking my hand.

"As we read to each other dark stories of the north!" I interrupted, another thing coming to mind.

"But what I loved best, Lottie said, was when I'm asleep in my bed..." We sang the last part together, smiling.

"...And the Angel of Music sings songs in my head, the Angel of Music sings songs in my head." 

"You sang like an angel tonight, Emma." Joshua said, giving me another hug.

"Father said, 'When I am in Heaven, child, I will send the Angel of Music to you.' Well, Father is dead, Joshua, and I have been visited by the Angel of Music." I said, looking at the rose Joshua gave me.

"Oh, no doubt of it. And now, we go to dinner." He said, walking towards the door.

"No, Joshua, the Angel of Music is very strict!" I protested, laying a hand on his arm.

"Well then I won't keep you out too late then!" He joked, shushing me. He laughed and started towards the door again.

"Joshua, no!" I said again, but he silenced me once more.

"No, Emma, five minutes! You must change and I must get my hat!" he said, walking out the door.

"JOSHUA!" I cried, slipping out of my dress into a soft silk one, tying my silk and lace dressing gown around me. 

The voice that was soft, elegant and velvety in my head now exploded across my mind with anger, sounding proud and infuriated at the same time.

"INSOLENT BOY, this slave of fashion, basking in your glory!" It said, and I began to tremble in fear. 

"Ignorant FOOL, this brave young suitor, SHARING in my TRIUMPH!" The voice shouted, and I quailed, covering my head involuntarily. 

"Angel! I hear you speak, I listen! Stay by my side, please guide me..." I stuttered, anything to keep him from screaming. "Angel, my soul was weak, forgive me. Enter at last, master!" I pleaded, and a deep rumbling laugh echoed across my mind. In a gentler voice than before, he said,

"Flattering child, you may know me. See why I hide in the shadows, look at your face in your mirror. I'm there inside!" I stood up, and walked over to my mirror, and slowly, a face appeared in it that wasn't mine.

I trembled in fear and excitement, as the face and body appeared slowly. He wore a black cloak and hat, a white bowtie, a white tuxedo shirt, black tuxedo pants, black gloves, black shoes, and a peculiarly shaped, stark white mask that covered the right side of his face.