The Tension Grows

Leia hadn't stayed, of course, but Henry didn't even move as she broke away from him and hurried off into the woods. He was too scared of losing the feel of her touch, too afraid to let her scent float away into the wind. The sun shone through the tangle of tree crowns above him, and scattered light in Leia's wake.
She was gone.
Slowly, gently, Henry shifted. He brushed his cheek, remembering the feeling, and strode after her silently. The forest was deathly still now, even the sound of his feet seemed muted. As the king strode out of the trees, Diana happened to be passing by with some of her ladies. Seething, she marched right up to her husband and slapped him harshly.

"Where have you been?"she screeched, spitting in his face, "have you idea how long the courtiers and servants have been looking for you?" Henry rolled his eyes.

"You are my wife, Diana, not my adviser and certainly not my mother! Now stand aside, I have business to do." The King hastily attempted tried to pass through, but Diana pushed him in the chest sharply.

"So now you want to do business? I want to know exactly what you were doing in the forest,"persisted Diana tempestuously. She was beginning to go very red, and her ladies were slowly backing away uneasily. Henry opened his mouth to shout something back, but his eyes met Diana's and they locked on like cat's  eyes. He took her arm gently, sighing.

"You're getting worked up about nothing, sweetheart. Calm down, it's not good for the baby." He leaned in close. "The people won't like it, sweetheart, we don't want anyone thinking you're mad.... "

"To hell with the people! I am your wife!"

"FOR GOODNESS SAKE, WIFE! I AM THE KING OF ENGLAND, YOUR LORD AND MASTER! NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID!" He stormed off, and many onlookers rushed forward to help the choked up Queen, who fell to her knees, a tear falling from her white face.

"My Lady, let's get you back inside,"whispered Mary comfortingly, holding Diana's arm.
"You must think of the baby,"put in Catherine softly, touching her cousin's shoulder with a supportive air.

"THE BABY, THE BABY, THE BABY, I AM NOT JUST A VESSEL! WHY MUST EVERYTHING I DO AFFECT THE BABY? I WISH THERE WAS NO BABY!"she shouted, shoving everyone around her out of the way and standing up. "I JUST WISH YOU WOULD ALL PISS OFF AND LEAVE ME IN PEACE!"

"Your Majesty,"said a calm, firm voice behind her. Diana turned, her chest heaving. It was Thomas, Thomas Cromwell.

"Your Majesty,"repeated Thomas, his voice revealing no clue about the intimacy he shared with the addressee. "I would advise you to calm down. You may not care about the child you are carrying, but I assure you, the rest of the kingdom does." He turned to her ladies, who were clustered a little way off. "Please take Her Majesty to her chambers, and run her a hot bath." With that, he turned, and strode off, the gathered courtiers following in his wake.

As Mary, Catherine and the others carefully guided Diana into the palace, Cecily glanced back. Where was Leia? She had not been present for any of the spectacle at all.
"Cecily!"called Lucy, "come on!" Cecily made to follow them, but stopped. There was something moving in the trees....

And then, stepping forth from the trees like Mother Nature herself, Leia appeared at the edge of the woods. She quickly glanced around, and hurried up to where the other ladies where helping Diana, as if she had been there all along.

"Cecily!"she cried, looking back at her half-sister, "please come!" Shaking herself, Cecily hastily caught up with them, repressing the thoughts and questions until later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Leia?"said Cecily, "can I ask you something?"
  Leia turned over in bed, and leaned in sleepily. "Mm?"
Cecily hesitated.
"Why did you.... What were you doing in the woods?"
Leia' eyes widened slightly, but she remained silent. "You were with him, weren't you? Don't give me that face, Leia, I'm not as stupid as the rest of the court. You were with the King." Leia nodded solemnly, looking away.

"What did you do?"continued Cecily softly. "Was it....serious?" Leia shook her head.
"No, not really. Oh Cecily, it should not have happened! But I was so bewitched... like they all are. And now he will carry on pursuing me, like prey!"
"Leia,"whispered Cecily seriously, "I need to know what exactly you did."

"Why?"returned Leia, "I daresay worse might happen soon, and I will be deceived that he could actually love me."
"Does he love you?"asked Cecily with bated breath. "Does he?"

"That's a good question, Cece. He says he does, but I cannot be sure."

"What does he say?"persisted Cecily eagerly.
"He says..."faltered Leia, "...he says he loves me. But the way he acts... it's not like when he lusts for a woman at court and grows bored after a couple of nights like poor Sorrel Cavill. It's gentle, and soft, like he cannot help it, like all he wants is to be alone with me. It's getting unbearable...."

"Why?"questioned Cecily, looking surprised at this remark.
"Because, Cece, I don't love him and I can't love him. No matter what."