Chapter 7 | Red Car

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

I wake to an empty apartment.

The sunlight beams through the windows of our living room, reminding me I forgot to close the blinds. Then again, I rarely sleep in the living room.

I sit up and clutch the blanket I don't recall draping over myself. Usually, I enjoy quiet mornings, but right now the silence—just like my memory of last night—is deafeningly painful. I take a moment to gather my thoughts.

"Fuck." I run my hands over my face. When my eyes open, I notice a sticky note sitting on the coffee table. I hesitantly reach for it. "Hope you got enough sleep and are feeling better, here's my number if you need anything. Please call - Miles."

I reread Miles' note repeatedly. Then the door opens. Addy waltzes inside, attempting to be quiet, but when she sees me sitting on the couch, her face falls. "Oh my God, are you okay?" She drops her bag and dashes toward me. Damn, I must look exactly how I feel.

"I'm fine."

"Don't lie to me. What happened?" She slinks an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into her embrace.

"Jake... I don't know. He visited and things got intense."

She tugs at my shoulders, so we're face to face. "What? He was here?"

I look down at my hands, blinking back the tears that threaten to fall. Addy gets the hint and pulls me even tighter into her embrace while rubbing my back. She gives me a moment to think. I tell her everything that happened, and she listens intently.

She was surprised Miles intervened, but thankful.

"How about we stay home today?"

I shake my head. "No, I want to do everything to take my mind off of what happened. Even if that means sitting through lectures."

"Okay, but we are reporting it to the school authorities, just so they know what happened."

I want to say no because I'd rather forget about the incident than speak up. I don't want to make a big deal about it, but assault isn't something to be taken lightly. And me speaking up isn't the issue; the issue is that someone put their hands on me without my consent, and I need to let someone know.

So, Addy gives me some space to wash up, and then we head to the administrative building. The school follows precautions, asking a lot of questions. After a lengthy talk, I'm given information about some helpful groups and counselors to talk to, and the opportunity to file a restraining order. It felt great to tell someone of authority.

"You call me if you need anything, okay?" Addy hugs me before we part ways.

"I will."

I amble to the library to continue my essay. When I get there, I go to the same spot as always, the back corner by the window. I take my books and computer out and work, but my peace doesn't last long.

Miles is standing in front of me.

"Hi Darlin', may I sit?" he questions, running his fingers through his perfectly messy brown hair. I nod.

After he gets situated across from me, he sighs. "How are you?"

I fake a smile. "Alright."

"Are you lying to me?" he asks, raising his eyebrows.

"How do you think I am?"

He taps the table rhythmically before saying, "I know you're not okay, that's why you're wearing long sleeves and your eyes are puffy." I raise my eyebrows, slightly offended, yet he continues. "But I know a special remedy to make someone feel better."