Chapter 25 | Don't Rock the Cart

25

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

Addy and I take our time, enjoying our meal before rushing back home. We get back before the guys, but they aren't far behind.

When Miles walks in the door, I smile. "Hey," I breathe, wrapping my arms around his body. He does the same, squishing my face against his chest.

After a good minute of embracing, he pulls away. "Hello."

I run both of my hands through his tousled hair. "Did you have a good day?"

"Yes." He nods enthusiastically. We retreat onto the patio for privacy, perching ourselves on the couch. For a moment, we admire the beach view in each other's company. The breeze from the ocean feels nice on my skin. I take my time, enjoying the moment before it's over.

"So, Beauty," he runs his hands over my legs that are lying over his lap, "how was your day with Addy?"

"It was good," I say, and ask about his. We small talk, laughing over little things. Once the laughter dies down and he quietly settles in, he cozies up beside me. His enormous arms encompass me, and I nestle my nose into the crook of his neck.

I'm not sure why I'm nervous to tell him about the video, but my heart is pounding.

"Miles, something else happened today," I say, and he looks down at me. "Do not say a word until I'm finished talking, please."

He tries sitting up to get a better look at me, but I don't budge. I keep my arms snug around him.

"There was a video posted today online by Noel. It was the video from the library."

As I expected, Miles' body goes ridged. Although I can't see his face, I know it falters.

"I'm telling you this because you should know." I finally look up, cupping his face. "But I also want to remind you I have forgiven you. This is on Noel, not you." He opens his mouth to speak, and I interrupt him, repeating one more time."I have forgiven you already."

He sits up abruptly. "Are you fucking serious?"

I nod.

"We need to go home so I can sort this out."

I immediately grab his hand, pulling him back on the couch. "We're not going home because of this. Don't give him have the satisfaction of ruining our vacation. We will enjoy the rest of our trip and leave when we are supposed to. We can sort it out after."

His eyes search mine. I can only imagine the thoughts running through his head. Who would've thought Miles was such an empath? And I love how he wants to stand up for me, but I can stand up for myself.

Out of nowhere, he holds my face in his big hands and rests his forehead against mine. "Okay."

Telling Miles about the video went much better than expected. He didn't bring it up again, but I could tell it was still on his mind by his demeanor. So, I tried my best to distract his thoughts.

Now we're lying on our makeshift bed on the balcony.

"Miles?" I say as a light breeze blows past my bare arms. I involuntarily snuggle closer to him and he squeezes me tighter in response. My lips curl upward at his gesture.

"Yes?"

"What is the gala like?" I question. "For your dad's company."

He shifts beside me. "Well, it's very extravagant. It's a bunch of old people in designer clothes drinking expensive champagne and schmoozing each other. There will be dancing and eating. Oh, and a lot—I mean a lot—of business talk." He looks at me. "My dad likes to go over the top."