Chapter 8 | Forgetting

8

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"Where have you been?" Addy asks as I enter our apartment. She turns around on the island stool, her homework splayed on the table in front of her. "You look dirty, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just a lot has happened, like usual."

That catches her attention. She closes her books, eyeing me suspiciously. "Good or bad?"

"Well, Jake called me." I fill her in on our conversation, leaving out all things Miles.

I know I'll regret it in the long run, but I want to keep what happened today to myself. It's the only thing that has made me feel better, and I want to bask in these feelings for a little longer, alone.

"Is that it? You seem like you're hiding something... like where you've been for the past three hours."

I take a swig of my water bottle and shrug my shoulders. "Studying and doing my psych essay."

Trying to ignore her, I dig my phone out of my purse and power it on. I notice along with my missed calls from Addy, I have one from my sister Sierra, so I click on her contact to call back. "Hey, thanks for answering earlier!" Her voice booms into my ear. "I'm on my way to visit you right now."

My brows furrow. "Hi and what? Is mom driving you or something?"

"You know I have my license, right?"

"Seriously? When the hell did that happen?"

"Piss off, I'm hanging up so I can drive, love you!"

"Be safe, love you too." I make a kissing sound into the phone and hang up. Excitement bubbles through me at the thought of seeing my sister. I didn't think I would miss her as much as I do, but she is my best friend. Of course, I miss her.

Addy has a devious look written on her face. "Sierra's coming? Oh, we're taking her to a party."

"Oh hell no, she's too young."

"Says who? So are we." 

I tell her no again and open my backpack to continue the work Miles interrupted. An hour later, I'm interrupted again by a loud banging on the door. Warmth floods my veins and I eagerly dash to the door to see my sister.

I tear the door open and squealing sounds ensue. She drops her bags and pulls me into a hug. We rock back and forth. "Look at you, driving here by yourself."

"Oh, stop." She rolls her eyes.

We catch up for a moment, then Addy walks in to greet her. While they converse, I take Sierra's bags to my bedroom, and when I return, they are both batting their eyelashes at me. Like a mother would, I put my hand on my hip. "What are you up to?" I ask.

"Let's go to the party tomorrow, it will be so fun!" Sierra pleads while Addy mouths 'come on.'

"Addy, I told you no! I'm not taking my little sister to a college party."

Sierra purses her lips. "I'm not ten, plus we never get to have fun together."

"Yeah, come on Bell," Addy butts in, but I glower at her and she quickly throws her hands up in defense.

Sierra sighs and takes my hands. "You need to have fun B, you cannot sit in this apartment and cry anymore. If you keep dwelling over Jake, you'll never be able to move on."