Chapter 11 | Rabbit Hole

11

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

He is going to be here in thirty minutes!" Addy says, freaking out. "Get your ass in the shower, then come right to my room! Do not forget to shave."  

After having my purse and coat ripped from me, I'm ushered into the bathroom like cattle and forced to strip. I step into the scorching water and scrub. Butterflies storm my stomach at the thought of a date with Miles. It sounds foreign, something that I never thought would happen.

I'm not sure if this whole friendly act is out of pity, but as long as I take things slow, I'll be fine. I am not in a good place to start a new relationship. Jake damaged me and thanks to him, I will forever have trust issues.

As I finish getting dressed, there is a knock at the front door. Addy and I look at each other in pure shock, and I instantly feel queasy. She shoves me down the hall until I'm inches away from the door, then she dashes to her room.

I hesitantly reach for the doorknob, turning it slowly. "Hello, oh." My face falters when I see Jasper. "Hi, Jasper." 

"Hey, Bell, you look really nice," he says. 

"Thank you, Addy is back there." I step aside and point down the hallway that leads to her bedroom. He thanks me and walks to her room. 

Slightly disappointed, I close the door when a hand shoots out of nowhere, holding it in place. I look up, startled. "Hey, Darlin'." Miles smiles, his eyes widen, and his mouth falls ajar. My heart speeds up when his eyes start at my feet, wandering up my bare legs to my torso, eventually landing back on my face. 

He looks ridiculously handsome in his black pants and white button-up. He doesn't have a tie, and the top two buttons are undone, showing off some of his chest. His hair is purposely disheveled, and I shouldn't be this attracted. 

"You." He lets out a small breath and rubs the back of his neck. "You look beautiful." 

My heart crashes in a crazy rhythm. 

"Thank you, you look handsome." I smile, and he thanks me. 

He extends his arm out. "Shall we?" 

Beaming, I slip my arm through his and pull the door shut behind us.

During the car ride, I stare out the window, watching the city lights blur together. It is silent, aside from the soft singing coming from the quiet radio and the low grumble of his car. I don't know what to talk about with him. 

I look over and see him gently tapping his finger to the beat of the song. He turns his head, but I look away before he can catch me staring.

"Like what you see?" He breaks the silence, keeping his eyes on the road. I swiftly look over at him, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. 

"No," I tease. "Not at all." He shakes his head in disappointment.

"That's a shame because I really like what I see." We both look at each other, smiling. I've been called beautiful before, but when he says it, I feel it.

We arrive in downtown Philadelphia, which I rarely visit just because we live on the outskirts in a secluded area. The only time we come here is if Addy needs to go extreme shopping, which is at least once a month.