Chapter 18 | Daddy Issues

18

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

Of course, he'd be here. He is Jasper's best friend.

I stand there staring at the back of the complex next to us. I can't look him in the eyes right now. He left me without a reason and didn't contact me until now, two days later. Am I supposed to jump right back into his arms? How do I know he won't pull a stunt like this again?

"Bell," he says. "I don't know where to start."

"Why don't you start by telling me where you got those bruises?"

He doesn't speak right away. "Tuesday night, I was at the gym. Everything was fine until I heard the guys talking about that game we used to play." I wince at the memories. "I didn't get involved until Noel brought you up."

And now I'm looking at him.

"What did he say?" I ask without hesitating.

His face twists into a nervous look. "Bell."

I take a step closer to him. "What did he say, Miles?"

"He retold what I—" He inhales, turning his gaze to the building. Fear and pain flood his face and his voice quiets down. "He just repeated what I said about you back then."

Oh.

"Bell, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I reassure him, letting myself smile meekly. "I forgave you for that a while ago."

"That's why I acted childish the other day." The thought of the other night makes me wish the earth could open up and swallow me whole at this moment.

"Because you felt guilty?"

"Yeah." He shakes his head. "I couldn't take it. I felt like I betrayed you. I didn't mean what I said, I didn't even know you personally, not that it makes it right." He takes a step closer to me. "But if I had known you, I never would have said any of those things."

"I know, Miles." I breathe. "So is that why you got in a fight with him?"

"Well, yes, and no. He told all the guys we were together, which I don't know how he found out, then asked if he could take a turn on you in bed, and that's when I flipped out."

My stomach twists into a knot at the thought of Noel talking about me like that in front of a bunch of guys. He definitely deserved it. Without thinking, I reach my hand up and gently run my fingers across Miles' bruised lip. He instantly closes his eyes, because of my touch.

"Bell, I'm sorry."

"I know you are," is all I say. I am not ready to forgive him yet; he needs to work for it.

The rest of the night consisted of awkward small talk between Miles and me and a lot of shots. When we finally joined everyone else back downstairs, I realized Lucas had gone. I texted to see where he went, upset at myself for ditching him like that. He told me he had things to do and not to worry about it.

I feel bad, we're obviously only friends, but I don't want him to think I'm using him to get through my tough times with Miles. He was my shoulder to cry on when I needed one.

As for Miles, I can tell he still feels bad about what happened, but I don't mind. He should feel bad. I know he was trying to be kind, but never choose what's best for someone else. You aren't them. You do not get to make that decision. He did it for himself, not me.