Chapter 1

Aurora POV

I pulled on the zipper of the small suitcase as I tried to force the bag to close, the clothes spilling out still.

"Do you need help with that?" A voice joked behind me as they let out a gruff laugh. I turned to look at my friend, Samuel. His brown hair flopped over his face as he continued to laugh at my distress.

"It's not funny, Sam!" I swatted his arm.

"It's a little bit funny," he continues to laugh at my attempt to hit him, his arm so muscular it was safe to say my hit didn't even affect him. He takes the bag from my hands and closes it without any issues.

"Show off," I mutter, but it just causes him to laugh more as we make our way outside and to his old truck. He throws the bag into the back before looking at me.

"Are you sure you want to go?" he asks me, "You can stay here. We haven't even seen anyone from the coven in almost a year."

"You and I both know that Iris won't give up that easily," I say, "We both know if I stay any longer, she will eventually find me."

He nods sadly before pulling me in for a bear hug, swallowing my small stature, "Just be careful, Aurora, and try to stay out of trouble."

I pull back with a smile on my face as I crane my head up to look at his face instead of his chest.

"Trouble? When have I ever caused trouble?" I joke with him.

He just laughs at that, "You carry trouble with you like it's attached at the hip," he tells me smiling before his smile turns down into a frown, "Not that you asked it to be there."

I nod softly before pulling him in for another hug, "Be careful, Sam. If they find out I was here, they will kill you for helping me. Iris won't be forgiving towards anyone who helps me."

He pulls back to look me in the eyes, "Then I will have died for something."

"I would prefer it if you didn't die at all," I tell him.

"You and me both," he smiles before opening the door to the truck for me. I hop in, so he shuts it as I roll down the window, "Remember, be careful using magic. Iris will follow any sign if she thinks it will point to you. Do you have the bracelet I made you?"

I nodded, showing him my wrist where the silver rung hung, "One anti-tracking bracelet right here."

"Never take it off," he says before giving me one last smile, "Good luck, Aurora. I hope you find happiness."

"Thank you, Sam. I'll send word when I find somewhere safe. I promise."

"I'm going to keep you to that," he smiles as he pushes off the door as the engine roars to life.

I give him a small wave before I turn toward the road, saying goodbye to Sam probably for the last time.

*****

After driving through six states and for over two days on a maximum of 10 hours of sleep, I finally arrived at the small cottage. As I pulled up the driveway, I noticed that not much has changed over the years.

The small cottage was only one story made of stone and wood from the surrounding trees. It has been in my family for generations and the worn-down wood showed the years.

My father owned many small cottages and cabins around the country, but this one had been my favorite. It was where my father first told me about the elementals, and where I learned to master a few of my first spells.

It was also one of the few places the coven had no clue existed. The only person that knew about this place anymore was me.

My father would take me and my brother on trips every year before school started to the different places he owned. He had placed protective charms and shielding spells around the property, so the location would never show on a map. He never trusted the coven with the information, but he wanted to make sure his children knew of a few safe locations.

Turns out, he was right to not trust them. I would be safe here for a while.

Jumping out of the truck, I walked up the porch to the door before lifting the pot on the right to reveal the house key. My father could always keep secrets, but hiding keys apparently wasn't his strong suit.

Putting the key into the lock, I softly opened the door to the small cottage. I looked around as I walked in. It was a simple design for a one-person cottage. Open concept with a small kitchen and living room, and then a bedroom and bathroom in the back.

It wasn't fancy or expensive, it was just cozy. Most importantly though, the place made me feel just a little bit safer than I was before.

I felt a small breeze behind me, carrying in the scent of the woods into the small cabin. I smiled as I remembered my trip here. There was one place that I needed to see again.

Smiling at the memories, I went back out to the car to grab my jacket. Quickly locking the front door again, I headed off into the woods towards the river.

As I moved along the trees, I focused on the energy of the forest. The one thing I loved about being more than just a witch; I could feel the elements within the earth move as the leaves rustled from the wind.

When I saw the river in sight, I sprinted forward. My first element I had mastered was fire as it came so naturally to me, but there was always something about water that drew me too it. Water was in everything, it was life itself.

I lifted my hand slowly as I thought about the spell when a twig snapping behind me halted my movements.

I turned quickly to stare into the trees. I knew better than to call out and give away any chance of the intruder not knowing my location. I focused on the energy beneath me to find the source. I could feel the vibrations of someone through the ground, but they were moving too fast. I couldn't tell where the vibrations were coming from.

I took a step forward to try and see further into the trees when I felt a presence behind me, "Looking for me."

I tried to turn around as I started to use a protection spell when I felt pain. Pain exploded through my abdomen as I collapsed on the ground. Five large slices covered my stomach as blood covered my body. I felt a hand grasp my ankle before throwing me into a tree.

Pain exploded as I made a hard landing into the dirt.

The man stood over me as he raised his hand again. Blood dripped from his nails as he smiled down at me. His teeth turned into fangs as his eyes turned pitch black.

He wasn't human at all.

"Who do we have here?" he growled out.

I tried to force a barrier spell, but I started to cough as blood filled my lungs, halting my movements.

"You aren't human. I know that scent," he growled as he leaned over me. He pulled my hair up to his nose as he took a deep breathe in before smiling brightly, "Witch."