Chapter 37- Changes

Jules~

The party was over, finally, and some had stayed after to help clean up. Men were tearing apart the platform from the backyard and putting away tables as the women cleaned the kitchen and watched the rest of the kids inside.

Throughout the party, after Johnny had shown us the video, I couldn't help, but feel tense.

Johnny had said he was looking for something, but he didn't know what. I think I had a few ideas though.

My mind wanders back to Marcus' conversation with me. He had wanted me to act as a spy here in Aces home. To get "information" that could be used against him.

I was brought out of my thoughts as Candy took a seat next to me.

We were sitting in the theatre room with some of the children as they sat quietly- well, some were quiet- watching Kung Fu Panda 3. The rest of the women were downstairs cleaning up.

"Hey. Are you okay?" She asks, a concerned expression on her face.

I nod. "Yeah. Of course. Why would you ask that?"

She narrows her eyes at me. "Because I could see your little frowny face when I was sitting ten feet away with those little monsters."

I look behind her to the seat she was sitting at to find the little kids that were around her weren't even watching the movie like the kids I had around me.

Instead, they were either picking their boogers and wiping it on each other or wrestling on the floor. I'm surprised I haven't realized how loud they were until now.

I laugh at them before looking back at her. "Their just kids. Lay off a bit."

She snorts. "Little kids shouldn't have that much boogers in their noses! And don't they ever sleep?"

I smile. "Yes. When they want to."

She shakes her head, then narrows her eyes at me. "Don't try to change the subject. What's wrong? Why were you frowning?"

I sigh before waving her off. "It's nothing, honestly."

Her brows raise at my statement. "Nothing? Really?" When I don't say anything, she scoffs. "Fine. But I want you to know, that you can come to me about anything. Alright?"

I try to smile, but it doesn't reach my eyes.

"Alright," I whisper.

She tries to smile also, but I know that she knows something is up. She just doesn't want to keep pressuring me. And I'm thankful for that.

We're interrupted by a cute little girl with blonde pigtails and a cute summer dress that moves with her as she wobbles my way.

"Escuse me," she says, her eyes wide as she looks at me.

"Yes, sweety?"

"I need to go potty," she says, rocking back and forth on her heels.

Candy chuckles as I smile warmly at her and hold my hand out as I stand. "Okay. I'll take you."

She nods and takes my outstretched hand, my own enveloping hers almost completely. Using her other hand, she sticks her thumb in her mouth.

I smile again and look back at Candy. "Are you okay to stay here with the rest of them for a little bit?"

She nods. "Jules, I can handle kids."

I frown. "If that means yelling at them, then I'm worried."

She rolls her eyes. "I love kids, and besides, I'm not that mean." I raise a brow. "I'm Not!"