THIRTEEN

"what did he mean, lyla?"

lyla's hands trembled as she held her phone to her ear, dylan's voice startling her even though she'd just picked up the phone to him.

"i'm- i don't know how to explain but i promise you nothing's happened while we've been together. it was before, and hardly even a thing but-"

"well i'm listening, what happened?"

lyla gulped. two days ago her heart had fluttered at even the thought of dylan and now she bit her lip and jittered with nerves as she spoke to him. she didn't want this at all. she had been happy - really happy.

"it was a while back, maybe a month or two before we met again. we were drunk - really drunk - and playing spin the bottle. cole and i kissed, and everyone got all smug about it because that had been the whole plan for them all along. and then he took me home and we kissed a couple more times but nothing came of it. he withdrew from any real contact with me for a few days. but then just like that we were best friends again and it was like nothing had ever happened."

lyla could hear dylan's heavy breathing through the phone, "i should have told you, baby, i know." there was silence for a second.

"you had feelings, didn't you? you caught feelings. that's why you seemed sad when we first met - and that's why you liked me. we're twins for god's sake! it was perfect: i'm so like him yet so different at the same time and that helped you lose feelings for him, but also fulfil the feelings you did have." lyla knew what dylan was saying made sense, but didn't want to admit it.

"but then i fell in love with you-"

"but you had feelings for cole first. fuck! that's why he's been so weird with me the past few days. he likes you too, oh my god."

"i'm sorry, dyl. i'm so sorry. it's a mess but i really really do like you and i'm sorry!"

dylan sighed, "not as much as you like my brother, though. it's okay, babe. i mean obviously i'm pretty pissed but it's not your fault. i came between you guys and i'm sorry for that. i guess this is where it ends - three days after publicly admitting we're together." his low chuckle sent chills down lyla's spine.

"no! dylan you can't just-"

"it's for the best, lyls. i love you. look i have to go, i'll see you again soon. we'll be fine, i promise. just go be happy, please."

"i'm sorry, dyl. i love you...bye."

---
this was so shitty and awkward and i hate it lmao im sorry i hope it's ok x