Chapter 2 - Zane Returns

Time Coordination: Shadow and Ice, Chapter 12-14

By the end of the second month, things had smoothed out some. There were still problems, especially from the older generations. The younger enforcers had finally started to respect her after she had trounced them. The older Enforcers still didn't approve, though she did have some good ideas. They didn't say much, since Malcom tended to glower and he was well over a century old.

Work was being done in the house though it was going slowly. Fresh paint, new lighting, better furniture, it all had to be purchased within the budget. Zane had borrowed the general contractor Mark had used. Before he arrived, Zane did make a few threats. If anyone disrespected the cat, they would face him in the challenge circle and they would be lucky to be crawling out. Even if they didn't like the idea of having a cat there, they would learn to accept it.

He wanted a complete inspection of the building to identify what needed the major repairs. Once those were done they could start on the more cosmetic touches. Thankfully, other than a few leaky windows and part of a porch which needed repair the building seemed to be in decent shape. As they were working on the cleaning and painting, Zane pitched in when he could, as did the others.

They started with the central spaces and he had noticed an improvement in the pack moral. Fresh paint, updated lighting fixtures and better furniture was really helping. It wasn't all rosy since the pack was still getting used to his management style. It did help that Alex could run interference for him. He was a far more mellow person. Zane was having him doing much of the day to day running of the pack so they were used to taking orders from him. There were times Zane passed down orders but that was as the Alpha.

As he was leaning back in his chair, Izzy came in and glared at him, "You are taking the rest of the afternoon off, going to soak, spend time with our pups, and relax." She let her glare relax as she settled down in his lap, "Tessa is watching the twins. The secretary knows not to bother us, and the door is locked." She gave him a rather knowing look.

He started laughing at her, "Understood Izzy. One relaxing afternoon coming up." The idea of making love to her in the office didn't bother him. He knew Adam and Brook had, he was pretty sure Kad and Esther had as well as others. Heaven knew he had scented his uncle and his mate in Mike's office.

*****

By the end of the third month, Zane was actually fairly pleased. The pack was doing better, the pack house looked much nicer inside, and Alex had learned a great deal. The private rooms were up to the individual wolves to paint and clean. There were some funds but it, again, was going to be spaced out. One thing he had ensured was that all wolves no matter what their rank was had equal opportunity. If a senior wolf wanted his or her rooms done sooner, then they could pay for it.  He had decided to do it low-tech, and they were drawing names from a jar as resources and money allowed to get the next jobs.

Income was starting to come in, after the pack members started spending more time making art and other cottage industry items. They had a weaver who was making some of the most beautiful blankets. He had commissioned her to make a number to take back. Leather goods of all types were starting to be produced. The tanned hides were purchased and not made there. It was an outlay but it was starting to show profits. There were several wood carvers who were doing native American carvings.

"Alex, I know this is going to be rough on you, but you are ready. I will be a phone call away and so is Mark, Adam, and the others I have given you contact information. As you know, I expect weekly reports and Malcom is going to remain on for a while longer. Don't think he has any plans to join but I think he is enjoying the area. Any questions?"