Chapter 5 ~ For Your Entertainment

Even Death has a Heart

All rights reserved.

Copyright © RaddyMaddy

***

Stephanie's POV.

Later that morning I woke-up a knock from my door, then the door creacked open, & Steve peeks his head in my bedroom. I slowly rose up from my bed while rubbing my eyes.

"Morning Stephanie." He smiled.

"Morning Steve." I smiled as I sat up in my bed.

"Why not call me dad, pops, daddy, father-"

*Sighed* "Steve-" But before Steve could let me finish my sentence he interrupted.

"How about your old man?"

"You HATE being called that?!" I laughed, he chuckled a bit, & came into my room. I sighed. "Steve you know why I don't call you those names is because your my STEP dad, & I'm still getting used to the whole step dad stage... I know it's been 15 yrs. since you married mom, but..."

Steve raised his hand for my to stop talking. "I know, but it would be nice to call me dad for once, but if you're not comfortable with it yet then that's fine by me." Steve said as he gave me a small smile.

"So why have you come here anyway, school doesn't start in an hour?" I said. Steve gave a long hard stare, & I knew what those eyes meant.

"I've got a meeting in New York."

"Oh? When will you be back?" I said, crisscrossing my legs.

"That's the point I'm getting to..." He said rubbing the back of his neck. "I won't be back for 3 weeks, & Ms. Hangover isn't gonna be with you this time."

Ms. Hangover was my nanny whenever Steve was gone on his business trips. She's in her 90's, but she isn't married, but lost her son in the Vietnam War, but she thought of me as her daughter. We always had fun with each other, she tell me stories of when she was in the camp during WW2, bake goods, watch scary movies on Friday nights, & take me any where.

But unfortunately she has been feeling ill for the pass month, & is in the hospital; just be to be on the safe side. Can't blame her, after all she is pretty old for her age.

"Okay Steve, I'll be alright. I can have Meg over to keep me company during the nights." I smiled as I went over to my closet to change into a gray plead long-sleeve shirt, & some black skinniness. I turned around to Steve with worried in his eyes. "It's okay Steve, I'm gonna be 18 in 3 weeks. I can manage to take care of myself, & the house on my own."

Steve smile, got up from the bed, & said. "The more I look at you, the more I see both of your parents in you. You're just like them very much."

"I miss them..." I said. Steve gave me a peck on the top of my forehead, & hugged me.

"I miss them too, I miss them terribly, but there's something else I want to tell you before you head for school."

"What?" I said.

"I asked your mythology teacher, Mr. Van de Black over for dinner tonight before I leave." My jaw dropped down to the floor, I was in utter shock.

"Are you kidding me? Why would you invite my teacher over for dinner in the first place? What going through your thick head?!" I yelled. Steve raised both of his hands in front of me to calm me down.

"Hey, I just thought it would be nice to invite a teacher over for dinner, every parents do that." Steve said, walking out of my room.

"When have parents ever do that?" I said.