Laptop

(L's point of view)

There was a peculiar sound coming from my hotel bedroom, so I decided to investigate it. My door was ajar and a blue light glowed faintly in my room. Someone must be on my laptop... "And you may be?" I asked as I stepped into the room. There was no response and I had assumed the person must be wearing dark colours. I turned on the light. The intruder rubbed their eyes then stood up. This must be the petty hotel thief from the rumours. I'm surprised thyn came here: the percentage for that was lower than 1%. This is going to be quite annoying.

The thief cleared their throat and turned the laptop towards me. "There are very interesting things on this laptop," the voice sneered. It was feminine. The supposed she turned the laptop towards me, indicating at a certain file. The Kira case. "It's really interesting how you think it's natural genius Light Yagami. Curious how a student could do this. Don't you agree L?" How did she... no it's quite obvious how she found out. She's on my laptop. It must not be that hard to figure out my identity. "What exactly are you planning to do with that information?" I questioned with my monotone voice.

"What I'm going to do with it? Hmmm... I never actually thought that far," the thief murmured. Can this person be anymore incompetent? "In all honesty, I wasn't expecting this. I was just trying to make a living - avoid death by Kira. That made me interested in figuring out this case, but I never had the resources to do so. That means I have something I want and blackmail material saved to a USB." There was malice in her voice, underlined with panic. They really want to manage to get out of this without problems, don't they? "Let me help with the investigation and this file with details on it won't get released to the world. I thought you might like to know a certain Kira can kill... what's his name... Watari with the information on this drive."

Must she really bring Watari into this? How frustrating and pathetic. "I guess it must be agreed upon," I muttered. The thief put my laptop down on my side table and walked over to me. They were certainly smaller than me, but my slouch made for similar height. She removed the hood of the black cloak she wore and revealed the top half of her face. The lower half was concealed by black fabric - likely to avoid identification from Kira. They held their hand out and cocked their head slightly to the side. "Kei Smith. The pleasure is certainly all mine," Kei introduced. I reluctantly shook her hand and responded, "it certainly is."

Smith is certainly quite an odd last name for someone from Japan. "If I may ask, what is the reasoning behind the last name 'Smith'. It's quite odd for somebody of likely Asian decent," I inquired. "Half Asian on my mum's side, half English on my dad's." She stated. Smith is quite the common English name. The last name must be from her father's side. "If I'm honest, I didn't get very far with the snooping. Mind if I look at the files legally? The more petty my crime, the less likely I'll be killed." She asked. I nodded and handed her a stack of papers containing everything we know on Kira.

"2nd Kira... that makes sense. You got Light Yagami working with you already? I would say you're one step ahead, but I'm positive you two are on the same step. Chance will decide who will win. Aizowa... Mogi... Matsuda... Misa... Guy with curly hair, the physical worker, the idiot, the obsessive. Can't be classed as a stalker... just yet. I have suspicions she stalked Light for his address... Wow, you got a lot already." She put the papers down on my bed. After stretching, she walked out to the lounge area. "Any rules for how to sit?" I shook my head. I'm positive the way she sat is more peculiar than me. Kei sat upside down on the sofa, willingly allowing the blood to rush to her head. I took a seat on my usual chair, curious as to her next actions. "You sit funny," she told me bluntly.

"I don't sit like this because I want to. I sit like this because I have to. If I don't, my deductive skills decrease by 40%." I replied to her statement. I looked her up and down. "Your fashion of sitting is quite peculiar, too." I added. "I sit like this for medical reasons," Kei said in a mocking tone. I gave her a curious look. "One of my shoulder blades have been dislocated on many, many occasions. Doctors suggested I sit in a comfortable position which allows for no hard surfaces against my back. When sleeping, put a pillow under it." She explained. That is quite interesting. Kei put a pillow under her back. "Night, detective."