Chapter 29

Warning:  I have packed this school trip all into one chapter otherwise this book would be a bit longer than I originally want it to be. Therefore, Chapter 30 will describe them coming back to New York.

Another important thing to note is that I have never been to Rome and I have done research on the landmarks to the best of my ability. However, if some things are not correct please let me know so I can improve the book.

***

  Chapter 29 – This is Rome 

I gaze down at the large amphitheater before me, taking in every detail with eager eyes. It showcases how ancient it is with its worn walls and the strength of the materials used to build this magnificent piece of architecture. I can hear the light chattering of the many people who are taking a tour with us, the class posing for some group photos that will be posted online tonight.

Taking one last picture, I catch up with the group and proceed to make my way to the Trevi Fountain, that's the second thing I am most excited to see after the Colosseum. Following Mr. Alvaro, the class crosses roads whilst taking pictures of the beautiful city.

The first landmark we had visited was the Pantheon, which is the most preserved and influential building of ancient Rome, that consisted of historic tombs; a temple dedicated to all the gods of pagan Rome, as Mr Alvaro had divulged. It stood tall and proud with rows of columns to support the grand structure. The inside was as intriguing as the outside, with a dome ceiling and a tiny skylight providing light into the semi-dark area. We had spent a good while there, admiring what the landmark had to offer before heading off to the next destination on our list which was the Colosseum.

The group makes their way past cute cafes and shops before finally reaching the beautifully iconic, 18th century, sculpted fountain. I gasp quietly, pushing my way through to the front to get a closer look at the mix of water and stone. It's a breath-taking piece of art that looks very ethereal.

"The construction of this landmark started in the year of 1732 and opened to the public in 1762. The architects were Gian Bernini, Pope Clement XII and Nicola Salvi, who was also the artist." Mr Alvaro explains to our group as we take down notes. "The media used was Carrara marble and Travertine. This fountain was inspired by Roman triumphal arches and is the largest and most famous Baroque fountain in Rome."

I move to the side, taking a few pictures before my gaze lands on the various statues that are part of the fountain. It's hard to decide which is my most favorite landmark, as they are all beautifully unique in their own way.

Swinging the strap of my professional camera onto my shoulder, I find Sophia in the crowd and link arms with her whilst sharing the pictures I have taken. Mr. Alvaro shouts from the front that we can go and have dinner in the city if we want before retiring to the hotel for the night and continuing the tour tomorrow.

My group of friends huddle together whilst we search on our phones for some good food places nearby. We finally decide on a pizzeria nearby and follow the directions Theo is giving us. Soon, after fifteen minutes of walking, we reach the restaurant and head inside, grabbing a group table for ourselves. I sit between Sophia and Kayla, picking up the red menu from the table and scouring for something that will fill me up.