Chapter 44

Chapter 44 - Need

Vulcan Romanov's P.O.V.

I pull my fangs out of Aurora's neck and lick away the blood that has spilled out from the bite. Drawing back, I see that the bite is still an ugly shade of purple-almost black. My hope begins to diminish when I hear my mate's heartbeat, it's frighteningly slow. A short pause of three seconds will occur before the next beat and it is fucking with my mind.

She isn't breathing normally, in fact it's so slow and uneven I thought I had lost her at first. Her eyes are shut, hiding those beautiful grey orbs I long to see. I hold her tighter to me, flinching when I realize that her body heat has dropped significantly.

"Please, don't leave me. I won't be able to live without you." I whisper, my voice cracking at the thought of Aurora not being in my life anymore.

She's my second-chance mate, my light and my moon. She gives me hope every day. How will I function without her? Surely, the Moon Goddess can't be so cruel as to take even my second-chance mate away from me? What have I done to deserve so much pain?

Wiping away the tears I have shed, I pull off my shirt and dress her in it. We are on our way to a pack here where Aurora will be treated until she is fit to come back home. The Alpha is an ally of mine and I'm grateful that he has extended a helping hand when he found out I was searching for my mate. Jezebel and Doctor Petrova will be waiting for us to arrive to determine the severity of the situation.

I want nothing more than for Aurora to wake up.

Nothing else.

I knock on the partition, telling Indigo to open it up. Whilst the screen slides down, I adjust a blanket on my mate's body to keep her warm. We are about fifteen minutes from the pack. Both my beasts are silent, releasing occasional whines and howls of pain and sadness.

"Is she...?" Indigo trails off uncertainly, glancing at me through the mirror.

"Passed out when I marked over the bite." I mumble back, still staring at my mate for any signs of movement when I know for a fact that she won't be waking up any time soon.

"Aurora will be fine. She's still breathing, we just need to have faith in the Moon Goddess." Damon speaks quietly, his shoulders tense as sadness radiates off him in waves.

Indigo and I nod in agreement. If the Moon Goddess takes my mate away from me, there is no stopping me from following Aurora to the moon.

"Link with Dr Petrova and tell her to get a room set up. I want everything ready for my mate, there will be no delays to her treatment. Call Jezebel and make sure she's there." I growl darkly, watching as Indigo nods.

All we can do now, is hope.

***

I'm the first one to race out of the car and towards the pack infirmary as soon as it skids to a halt. Dodging people on my way, I yell for Dr Petrova and Jezebel, following their replies to the Alpha suite. Laying my mate down on the bed, I explain the situation as Indigo and Damon come up behind me.

Dr Petrova begins to run some tests as Jezebel walks closer to my mate, observing silently. I begin to grow increasingly frustrated when she doesn't speak for what feels like forever. Growling, I run my hands through my hair in stress, hearing the nurses tell everyone else to leave and give them some space to work.