Chapter 2.3 Journey Home

Audiobook Version

"The fires!" shouted Urlock. Alam grabbed branches of leafy brush. He threw them onto the small fire at the opening of his gap.

The dry leaves burst into flame. Behind to him Tajar loosed an arrow. A dargu shrieked in pain on the field beyond.

"They come to kill your friends!" bellowed Urlock.

"They will fail!" Alam screamed the ritual reply. His heart pumped hard.

Alam heard bowstrings twang in front of him. An arrow bounced off the cart to his left.

"They come to kill your family!" shouted Urlock.

"Ahhhh!" Alam screamed to build up the fury.

Thirty paces away.

The clan archers were firing as fast as they could reload their bows. More screams on the field. Alam saw one of the chest height creatures take an arrow in the belly. It fell writhing.

"Will you let them?!?" shouted Urlock.

"No!" Alam bellowed. The fury absorbed him - fueling the adrenaline, fueling his strength.

Twenty paces. An arrow came out of nowhere and struck him on the side of his abdomen. It was nothing. A fly. It barely pierced his chain. He flicked it away and threw a spear at the closest creature. Dead.

Ten paces. He bounced on his feet. "Come on!" he roared.

"Protect your clan!" shouted Urlock.

An arrow struck Alam's helmet and spun away. The creatures had arrived. Three of them. Grey-brown skin covered in matted fur clothes. Small black glinting eyes. Upturned noses. Large ears. Tajar shot one. Two left. With spears. Alam did not care. Nothing would pierce his shirt. He was invincible. He swung and one went down.

"Argh!" The remaining creature's spear jabbed into his chest. Not deep. But it came out with blood. Alam looked up. There were two more now. Somehow seeing his own blood increased his fury. He jabbed the head of his axe towards the one with blood on its spear. The blow knocked it backwards into the fire. It rolled out screaming. Its filthy clothes ignited. It sprinted towards the river.

Alam just barely saw the spear tip aimed at his neck. He twisted out of the way. It caught his sling. The cloth ripped. The other dargu had a long notched knife. Alam could not dodge both the spear and the knife at the same time. The blade raked across his thigh. No chain there. It went deep but his fury muted the pain. Tajar's arrow found the knife creature's throat. It dropped writhing and screaming. Alam's leg quivered as he dodged another spear thrust. The movement was enough to dislodge the box at his back. It fell from the ripped sling.

"Chak a graan!" squealed the creature with the spear in front of Alam. It was pointing to the box on the ground. Alam struck while it was distracted. It fell dead.

"They flee!" shouted Urlock from his gap in the carts.

"No!" said Shaleh. "They are running to Alam!"

Within seconds there were more creatures than Alam could count. All thought of attack was gone. Duck. Dodge. Parry. He swung his axe, but only to keep them away.

"Alam, I'm here," said Shaleh, appearing at his side.

One of the creatures took an arrow in the chest.