Chapter 4.3 Fire Meeting

Audiobook Version

In an instant the image was gone and the bonfire returned to its normal state. The clan did not have time to ponder the strange message, for at that moment a shrill cry rent the air. Dargu rushed like a wedge into the camp. There were too many to count.

"To arms!" yelled Chief Urlock above the screams of panic.

No armour. No axe.

Alam grabbed a knife and a thick burning stick from the bonfire. He sprinted to where the wedge of dargu had entered the clearing.

Fury boiled within him. In front of him he saw Inzhu, the woman Shaleh said he was to marry, hit the ground. Her toddler screaming at her side. An uncommonly large dargu raised its spear to plunge into the child. Instinct took over. Alam threw his knife. His feet would be too late. The knife struck. But not deep enough. The creature squealed but fell. It was all the time Alam needed. His burning stick finished it off.

He pulled the toddler into his arm, and planted his feet either side of Inzhu. A creature charged him. Screaming, it swung a rusty blade. The day's training paid off. He shifted his weight and used the reach of the stick. Alam's blow hit the creature on top of its shoulder. It sprawled on the ground. Alam brought the stick down on it with all his might. The long stick broke in two. He had over-extended. From somewhere a spear point took him in the lower back. Adrenalin muted the pain and increased his rage. He dropped the stick and grabbed the spear shaft. He wrenched it out of the creature's hands. Alam roared. It fled. He became aware of his surroundings. Others were fighting. Tajar was by his side. Urlock, Serik, Shaleh, the whole clan was fighting.

"Please Alam..." Inzhu was standing near him.

When did she stand up?

Her hands were outstretched. Blood was running from a gash above her eye.

"Please Alam. Hand her to me."

He had almost forgotten the child in his arm. She was released and ran crying to Inzhu. Alam's eyes sought Shaleh. She was fighting cat and mouse with two of the creatures. Dodging and swinging. They were trying to flank her.

"Shaleh!" he roared as he ran. He crashed onto the closest one like a bull. It sprawled to the ground. Shaleh took advantage of the second creature's momentary distraction. She slipped into its reach and slashed with her long knife. Alam's stolen spear finished off the one on the ground.

Alam, Tajar, and Shaleh, along with others, worked together on the fringes of the battle. While they tried to stop the further spread of the creatures into the camp, Urlock and Serik recklessly crashed into the midst of them in search of their leader - a fat one wearing a wolf skull as a helmet. Serik protected Urlock from attack while the chief battled him. He was no match for Urlock. In a couple of vicious swipes the dargu's head was rolling on the ground.

As one, the surviving creatures turned and ran. Serik headed up a small party of warriors that pursued them. They slayed a dozen creatures before returning.

The battle lasted less than ten minutes, but was disastrous none the less. Another five of Empa Clan were dead, including a mother of four children, and an elder.

"I have never heard of the dargu attacking our Clan before," said Tajar in shock to Alam and Shaleh.

"Neither have I," agreed Alam.

"It must be the box," suggested Shaleh.

Chief Urlock and Serik approached Alam, Tajar and Shaleh. Urlock tossed something small to Alam.

"Does this look familiar?" he asked rhetorically.

Alam caught it one handed. It was a small red enamel amulet with an open mouth etched on one side, and the image of a flame over five vertical lines on the other.

"It's the same as the one found after our last battle," said Alam.

"So the dargu are working for the sorcerers over the mountains?" asked Tajar.

"It looks that way," replied Urlock.

"Father, what of the message in the fire?" asked Shaleh.

"Hopefully it was simply to distract us so the creatures could surprise us."

"And if not?" she probed.

He did not answer. Instead he raised his voice. "Clan Empa. There is no rest for tonight. All men and women able to fight will stand watch. All others will break camp. Tomorrow we bury the dead, and then set out to find a new camp. We will mourn when we are safe."

Around the fire weeping started for the fallen. Urlock turned to Alam.

"Alam. You see the dangerous state we are in. Do you still intend to leave on your quest?"

"Yes," Alam replied with head bowed in shame. "Don't you see that if this box stays the attacks will keep coming?"

"Not if we move away and either destroy it or sell it," Urlock countered. "Well? What do you say?"

"In one moon's time, after Clanmeet, I will take it as I said earlier. I will only be gone one or two moons."

Urlock slumped for a moment. He took a deep breath, raised himself to full height, and spoke in a voice that carried over the fire clearing. All turned to hear him.

"Alam! When you were found you had no lineage, no status, no honour! It was my right to make you a slave. Instead, as a young chief I took you in, gave you to Khalesar to be raised, trained you to be a warrior with my own hands, and this very evening gave you your own horse. I have done all this even though you are a foreigner and not of our blood, with no rights of birth. In exchange you have decided to leave us, against my will, in a time of great need. Therefore, I, Chief Urlock of the Empa Clan, banish you forever from our lands. Tomorrow when we break camp you will leave us. If you are ever seen in our lands after that you will be hunted and slain without mercy as an outsider and enemy. You may take with you five days food, any of your possessions, including your weapons, and your horse. This judgement brings me much pain, for I have raised you as I would a son, but from tomorrow you will be a stranger to me and all my people."

He turned his back to Alam and walked out of the fire clearing.

-----------

Thanks for the comments. I warmly invite you to vote.

-Y. V. Qualls