chapter 3

All rights to Rick Riordan the man who painted a movie in my head with words

The Mark of Athena (chapter 3)

Jason hadn’t seen the Argo II in a month or so, he kept putting it off, because looking at the ship reminded him of what he missing back at Camp Jupiter which in turn made any of his unclaimed memories hurt his head. So in the end he decided it was better not to be there, he had let Leo know the reason and he actually seemed to feel sorry for Jason. When Piper thought it was a good idea to pester him about going to the ship, Leo had told her to leave him be and he could relate to the feeling. Which really hit him, this kid had lost his mom forever and Jason lost a little bit of memory and gets to take an 8 month trip away, he seriously owed this kid.

On his way over to the dock where they were building the Argo II, Jason started to remember his responsibility for the trip. It was only a couple of night ago that the head councilors discussed who would go and do what. Everyone had gathered and was up to their usual hijinks. He was sitting next to Leo and Piper off to his right, and Annabeth sat across from him, probably to study him when he spoke, intently  typing on a computer.

Chiron came through the door in his wheelchair form, probably easier to move inside, and called the meeting to order. Everyone stopped what they were doing; including Annabeth though she seemed very reluctant to do so.

“Now that everyone is here we must figure out who will be going along with Jason, Leo, and Piper. Annabeth has been requesting go with them and it seems Jason agrees, anyone object to her going?” Chiron asked.

Of course Leo had to say something, “Not she’s going to flip out and start kiss attacking Percy when she sees him.” By saying that earned Leo a swift elbow to the ribs from Piper, a death glare from Annabeth, and a smirk from a couple other campers in the room.

“Yes, yes very humorous Leo, but never the less how is the progress coming along with the Argo II?” Chiron asked.

“Well, seeing as we only have to finish some of the siding and interior walls it’d say we can go in 2-3 days. That’s if everyone continues to work the way we have though everyone is really tired with the crazy schedule we have been pulling.”

“Very well then, Michael could you make sure to send some healers from your cabin to help with them resting?”

“Sure,” was all Michael Yew said.

“Thank you. And Clovis?”

“Huh! What! I’m here,” he said waking from napping, a few people snickered.

“I asked, if you could send some from your cabin to help the workers with getting a more restful sleep?”

“Umm, yeah sure I ca……” he was back asleep.

“Well, there you go Mister Valdez your workers should be doing better soon. Now who would like to volunteer to go with them, and not just to sight see the other camp.”

All most everyone’s hand dropped except Michael Yew and Clarisse La Rue, which truly shocked everyone.

Finally Annabeth spoke up “Why would you want to go?”

Clarisse spoke up clearly annoyed at being questioned about going, “I’m going because I’m the one besides Jason who might know anything as to how they think. And ….I owe Jackson.” The last part looked like she had to force it out.

Annabeth didn’t say anything else she just nodded and looked to Chiron to continue.

Chiron then asked if the cabin leaders wanted to bring anyone else along from their own cabins with a max of two people. Since Jason was alone at his cabin he couldn’t even think of inviting someone. Leo was the first to speak up saying to bring a couple from his cabin for maintenance purposes. Annabeth spoke up saying she would like to bring some from her cabin to assist with running of the ship so Leo could rest on the journey. Similarly Michael thought to bring a couple healers for injuries and archery support should it be needed. All requests were going to be considered, the answer wasn’t going to happen until after Chiron thought about it.

Chiron told them that he would notify the each of those that gave a request to go and bring some campers with them. He then bade everyone a good night.

Jason finally arrived at the ship, which since the last time he had improved much. The hull was gilded in bronze shields and paneling. The three masts stood at least 25 feet above the deck with huge sails on each. He could see people scurrying about getting final prepping done before the launch. At the prow Jason saw Annabeth gazing off into the distance, he decided to leave her and go put his stuff away on his bunk. He separated from Piper as she went off to her own, when he got to his room and opened his door Leo was in there.

“Hey, you bunking with me?” He asked

Leo replied, “Yeah, you don’t mind do you. It’s just I thought it would save space and thought we might be able to finally hang out a little bit. I mean with me being busy and you missing home we didn’t get to hang too much.”

“I don’t know. The last time we were sleeping in the same room you snored so loudly even when I was dead tired I could barely sleep.” He joked, hoping that a jab back might help reestablish the friendship they had previously.

“Yeah, well…. Huh can’t seem to come up with anything, how odd. Anyways you want the top or bottom thought you’d want the top so I started unpacking. If you want the bottom I’ll move.”

“The top is just fine buddy.”

“Hey did you get anything new?” He questioned pointing to his head.

”Nah, nothing we’ll need right now anyway. Well I’m going to go see Annabeth before we leave. Don’t go through my stuff. See ya.”

“Alright oh I’ll be in the rec room making a message for your camp so they don’t shoot us, hopefully.”

“Alright, see you later.” He left his room and walked done the hall way that ran down the middle of the ship. Towards the front of the ship, in the hallway, the rec room was on the port side and the kitchen/ mess hall was on the starboard both were huge. Keeping demigods feed and entertained shouldn’t be a problem. Below them was a training room that the seven could use to get used to each other’s styles of fighting because that was necessary if they were going to work together.

Jason finally emerged from the depths of the ship and onto the deck. He paused for a second, closed his eyes and took a breath, his nerves calmed down a bit. He then scanned the deck of the ship for Annabeth, at first he didn’t she her, then as walked around he found her leaning on the port side railing, staring at some of the other passengers board. He walked up to her, “Hey.”

She jumped and turned, “Huh? Oh it’s you. “

“Yup, just me, what’s got you so distracted? Oh, wait let me guess, Percy?”

She relaxed a bit but she still seemed tense. She turned back a round and stared over the railing again,”Yeah, I’m definitely thinking about him but he’s one thing among many others. The only thing I’m worried how much he’ll remember by the time we get there. It’ll be torture to have to see him but not be able to actually be able to be with him. Hopefully Hera didn’t think it would be a funny idea to make his memory loss more permanent than yours.”

“Well to be honest I don’t know if Hera is any different than Juno but I’m sure Juno wouldn’t do something as needlessly cruel as that. Well I think you should try to get some rest, don’t you want to look your best for your boyfriend?” he suggested. She instantly shot me an annoyed glare my way.

“Wasn’t piper supposed to be the child of Aphrodite?” She chided

“Ouch, jeez I’m just trying to help.”

“Uh huh, well I’m going to go down stairs and relax for a while. Talk to you later.” She left Jason standing there watching the prep stuff being finished up and the final check list of things being completed. In only few minutes they were going to sail from here with no guarantee they were going to be friends by the end of the quest or even if anyone was going to make it back alive.