Chapter 28

I peered over at the materials I had gained from various shops during my travels with Jiraiya and Naruto. Everything was tucked into a bag, which I handed to my chambermaid servants who would take it back to the palace.

"I did it!"

I looked up to see Naruto collapsing on the ground, arms flung open in victory. To my right, I watched a deep indentation in a form of a large swirl in a tree trunk. Thankfully, the trunk was thick enough to stand strong enough even with a external injury in its main area.

"Looks like he's finally mastered it," Jiraiya said, coming from behind another tree. "Well done. And in one week too! He's just like his father!" Naruto had been learning how to make a Rasengan from Jiraiya, but after six days, Naruto discovered that he could make a clone and create wind currents to start the difficult jutsu.

I watched as Naruto was propped up against a tree, his body well shaded from the afternoon sun. "I suppose the mission is done then?" I asked.

"No, not yet. We need to convince Tsunade to come back to Konoha with us," Jiraiya said, shaking his head.

You mean, that's your mission. Not mine. I only came here to shop, I thought. I had more important tasks at hand right now.

"Ah well, we'll meet up with Tsunade tomorrow then! Get a goodnight's rest, okay?" Jiraiya told me, gathering wood to build a small fire.

I remained silent as the Sanin walked off, humming a tune and stood up. I may have agreed to accompany Naruto on this mission, but that didn't mean I wasn't thanking of my own agenda. I had a duty to fulfill and nothing would stop me.

Without looking back, I turned and left the campsite Jiraiya had been training Naruto the past week. The only way I could get there was boarding a corpse ship.

What are corpse ships?

Small, minor villages usually cannot afford to maintain a large cemetery like Konoha can. The general idea is digging a hole and sticking a dead body inside. However, small villages who do not have large plots of spare land cannot afford to waste land on dead people. Instead, they haul the bodies to the Death Kingdom where my servants would take them to the freezer in the basement.

In a village as small as this one, they would probably sent dead bodies through a postal/delivery system. Once every two months, a wagon would come around and collect dead people for a small fee and take them to a village near a large body of water. The village would most likely have a waiting corpse ship that would take the corpses to the island to "rot."

Every year, inspectors would come to the island but find nothing left behind. Barriers and traps have been set up around the entire island to prevent intruders. Also, I have made sure the island is flocked with soldiers, all well-hidden, to secretly attack any brave intruders who dare invade my island.

For the past few weeks, I've observed and calculated the amount of times a wagon comes to collect the dead. In certain areas, specially sick and diseased ones, a wagon comes every two to three weeks. Other places that have prospering families and healthy people get a wagon visit every six months.

I've decided, however, that I would go directly to the nearest village port and sneak aboard a ship. The best place to hide would be in the dump tray where hundreds of rotten people were stuffed in body bags in a wooden cage-like contraption, meant to be dumped once the ship was close enough.

It seems like I would be able to go home for now.