Cage

Chapter 1: Cage

....

He was already wide awake in a different place.

There was something warm on his head. He tried to check what it was, and it was only a towel that seemed to have been dripped wet with warm water. 

His head felt a lot lighter than probably a feather, though he completely had no idea if he had an excruciating headache just before waking up. Yet his eyes are still empty and almost like dead.

His sight is a bit blurred but he cleared it out by blinking a few times. He tried to budge his head to look at one side, only to see a dim dawn sky through the window. He tried to look around, finding himself in a room with white walls and simple furniture, much like someone else's home.

Upon hearing a slight creak on the door, he looked there and saw someone standing there.

"Sorry if I woke you up..." she spoke in a soft voice.

He observed the girl quietly. She looks like someone around the age of 23, and she has long wavy brown hair. She wore a plain simple sleeping outfit that is quite suited for a cold night. She slowly paced to him and sat on a chair just beside the bed he's lying on.

Silence lapsed for several seconds, which sort of create a tense atmosphere around them. The boy couldn't think of anything to say, let alone know what he should ask from her.

The boy looked back at the ceiling above him with an empty expression. He took quite a long time being silent...until he finally spoke.

"Where...am...I...?"

The girl heard that question and replied briefly. "This is my room. You're in my house right now."

The place went silent again. The girl then asked him to start some talk with him. "By the way....I didn't bring you here. Someone carried you all the way here, since I can't just refuse on taking you in....I brought you in here to take care of you."

The boy kept silent without doing anything but stare at the ceiling. The girl just continued, "What were you doing back then? Do you remember anything before you lost consciousness?"

....

"What...was I...doing...?" 

He dug into his mind, but he couldn't find anything. He couldn't recall anything, let alone know what he was doing before he even ended up here.

"I...don't know."

The girl had a puzzled expression. "You don't know?"

"I...don't remember anything."

Her face softened and she closed her eyes. "It must have been tough. It could be normal that you couldn't remember anything that happened before you passed out."