Where He Starts

Chapter 9: Where He Starts

"....Phoenix?"

The young lad nodded in response as Cage and Alice repeated his name in unison.

"'We'....finally meet?" Cage spoke, his face filled with a mix of surprise and confusion.

The younger lad met Cage's eyes. "You're the certain newcomer I wanted to meet, and whom I've been waiting for."

"How did you happen to know about him?" Alice asked.

"Everyone knew about him."

"What? What do you mean?"

He smiled at them as he replied. "Well, news of a young frail-looking boy as a newcomer in this town had been spread out in the town. You didn't hear anything about it on the way here?"

"N-No...." she hesitantly shook her head.

"I see."

"You even knew the name I gave him."

The boy's smile disappeared, replaced by a puzzled look. "I overheard you call him Cage just a few moments ago. I thought that was his name."

"Oh....I get it. But it's not his real name, actually."

"From the name itself, I think it's not his actual name as well. But that clears up about his identity for the meantime, right?"

She heaved a soft sigh. She was feeling too doubtful for a normal encounter like this. "So....what gives? Do you have something to do with us?"

"Oh, I can guess you wish to give him a sightsee around town?"

"Well, yes. I do.....you're pretty smart." She remarked. "But.... it was barely a day since....Cage had come here, and the people of this town already knew that? Do news spread that fast? Or could it be the girl...."

Something flashed in her thoughts. Yes, the girl. The one who appeared to be in a rush when she brought the unconscious boy to her house, of all places. Some of the girl's words replayed in her mind. "I still have a lot of things to do, and I have to do it right away."

"By a lot of things to do....did she really mean telling the whole town about Cage's appearance? But it doesn't sound convincing at all..."

She then glanced at Cage, who looked like he already become lost in his own wonder. His eyes were stuck on the younger boy.

Phoenix...he never heard of a name like that before. But the boy himself is familiar. How come? He saw him in his dream, but why? Could he have known him? What would be the reason someone pops into his dreams? Should he really trust his dreams? He barely remembered anything else, he even forgot his name, who he is, more importantly, he never knew anyone else.