EIM PART 1- Chapter 3: Change In Status

10 years later

I wake up to the beautiful sounds of nature all around me. The birds singing their morning songs, the river flowing in a smooth and steady rhythm. The sun was just touching the opening of the cave. It's the beautiful days like this that keep me going.

My alpha and Luna passed away I'd guess 4 years ago I can't tell anymore. All I can remember is that Luna left and didn't come back for a while. Alpha left after three days waiting for her return that never came. When he didn't return his eldest son took charge. I call him Mazen because it suited him and his little brother Fluffy, you can imagine why. Mazen led all of us on his parent's trail. When he tracked them, they were huddled together dead from the cold. Alphas snouts was on Luna's head and his body tried to protect her from the cold. I circled her body only to see one set of tracks beside her and alphas. I could only pick up one sent of one unknown wolf, a lone wolf had attached her on her hind leg. It was torn up badly.

We stayed with them nudging them making sure they were passed. After crying and howling at the moon in pain we followed Mazen back to our cave. When we woke the next morning, I didn't want to get up the guys went to hunt. After they ate there was plenty left. I felt empty and sick I didn't want to eat and Mazen notice. He brought their hunt from early to me, but I didn't eat it. He pushed it closer, but I didn't budge. He gave up and left with a huff. A few more days pass an my Xena wasn't showing as much, she felt weak after the death of her Luna an alpha.

After a few full moons pass an eating anything but the odd rabbits or mice my hunger took over and I need a good meal. Xena was just holding on. I left with Mazen and Fluffy for an afternoon hunt. I was in full control Xena was too weak. I prowled low to the ground and waited for Mazen to give fluffy the go-ahead to distract our pray. It was a beautiful caribou. Mazen flicked his ears his key signature to proceed with Fluffy for the original plan.

You're probably guessing why I'm not involved in the hunt as well? Let's just say that when they're doing their part if all fails then I'm on the outskirt ready to pounce on the prey. As Fluffy springs forward the caribou takes off before any of have a chance to follow thru with our routine, that always worked before. I hear twigs snapping to my left. I see a huge brown shadow in the background. Mazen must have noticed because his ears were pointed in the direction of the Shadow as well.

When he noticed that there was no chance of us getting out of here alive, he stood his ground. The bear suddenly approached us and was going straight for Mazen. He stayed put his and started growling in an alpha tone and snapping towards the bear giving it a warning. Fluffy and I approached behind Mazen Fluffy a little closer to Mazen. Then out of nowhere Mazen took the role of being our new Alpha in Fluffy being our new beta. I guess that makes me the new gamma of our pack. Even with the three of us the bear still chooses to attack.

We tried to scare it off, but that attempt was a fail. As the bear starts lunging towards Mazen, Fluffy jumps and go straight for its neck distracting the bear enough for Mazen to avoid its hit, now I on the other hand had a different tactic. As Mazen stood guard he was calculating when to deliver the final blow. The bear hit Fluffy not affecting his grip on the back of the bear's neck.

Fluffy's back claws were ripping and shredding the back side of the bear. Its ripped skin had blood dripping from the bear-like there was no tomorrow. I decided to creep up on the bear from behind slowly prowling my way to its legs taking my chances I lunged taking nice big chunks and bites out of its ankles. The bear having nowhere to go collapsed to the ground blood leaking everywhere from its fatal wounds. Mazen approaches the bear biting its throat and takes one final tug allowing the bear to die quickly. We fed till we could not stand anymore. As the feeling of being united as a pack hits the best thing happens. Xena came out like of bolt of energy.

She was full of energy and felt almost as if in Tip-Top condition like she normally is. Although it still felt like I was missing something like she was missing something. Maybe continuing my quest with my new pack will turn out for the best.

I'm so ready for the big run today, it's the only time I remember each month that passes during the years. It's the full moon. It's the one day my wolf is the strongest she can take over when the sun has set without my full control to stop her. The energy always lasts five to seven days so I'm excited to do our hunt tonight. To kill time, we race to the river an play around splashing an drinking it up. Were so much closer now that the feelings I have for them are like my brothers I never had...... Did I ever have brothers I can't remember my past slowly fades away as time passes.

I hate dwelling on the past. Losing interest in the rough play with Mazen and Fluffy, I decide to take a step back and head towards a shaded area that had the most beautiful trees I've ever seen. They were somewhat Arch together intertwining their branches in such a beautiful way. The bark on the tree looks so rough but felt so soft and hard. It has the most perfect patterns to make the tree look like it came together so perfectly on purpose. No matter where we go or where I wind up I know I'll always remember this spot for its most beautiful surroundings.