Revelations

Arousing out of my sleep to the smell of coffee and bacon I sit up and look around the cabin. I love this place, but we never come here unless there is trouble. My grandparents made everyone promise that we keep this place a secret. I'm sure over the years people have come across it, but nobody knows that it belongs to my family. 

We came here when we are small when word got out that the wolves may cross the border. They never did, but we were always whisked away to the cabin anytime rumors began. The wooden room with one small green window always brings me comfort. My grandpa always acted like nothing could get us here. 

If only that were the truth.

Loud banging in the kitchen forces me out of bed. I am still in my clothes from yesterday, and as I get to the kitchen I realize that so is Matt. Matt is frying bacon on the stove and banging pans around looking for something. He looks so stressed.

I cough causing him to whip his head in my direction. "You're up, how are you feeling?" He asks wearily, and I'm confused at the tone of his voice until I remember the events of the previous night. I look away "I guess I'm fine" I mumble. I run my hands down my face, and through my golden locks before walking over to the coffee pot.

My voice shakes as I speak "Matt what happens now? Someone killed the Chancellor last night, what does that mean for the East?" The coffee spills as I put the pot back. "damn it" I whisper out.

I feel Matt come up behind me. "Lexi, the Chancellor was shot right after announcing the truce between the East and West. Depending what the truce says will determine if the King is now our leader." His voice is laced with anger and frustration as he says the last part.

Moving him out of the way I grab a plate. Matt takes it from me and fills it up with bacon, eggs, and pancakes. The aroma makes my stomach growl causing Matt to laugh. "You always have loved your food Lex." we winks at me as he hands me my plate, and takes the seat across from me.

My mouth waters at the first bite. Damn this is good.

Tilting my head back I groan "Holy shit Lex, let's keep it PG." Matt says uncomfortably. I just laugh and wink at him. " You should take it as a compliment Matty, not many people get to see me this way"

Matt rolls his eyes at my comment. "Nobody better be seeing you that way" He says with no humor in his voice. He has always been the protective brother, and in this life, I'm thankful for that.

A loud bang on the door startles both of us and makes my blood run cold. Nobody knows we are here and very few people know who owns this cabin. Matt puts his finger up to his lips signaling me to be quiet. The cabin is still except for our nervous heavy breathing.

The knocking continues and Matt moves quietly to the door. My eyes widen at his movement and I try to grab on to his shirt. Matt stills and whirls around to me grabbing my shoulders. His grip is firm and his penetrating glare holds no room for argument as he points to the chair, telling me to sit. His whole presence around him has shifted into one of dominance as he moves away and glides to the side of the window.

He stands there as the knocking increases and becomes more desperate. He must catch a glimpse of who is out there because he rushes to the door, and throws it open.

As he opens a door a Man in a black hoodie covered in blood comes rushing through. I let out scream at the sight of him, and rush towards Matt. Matt slams the door and grabs the man by his hoodie and gets in his face. I have never seen Matt so angry in my life.

"WHAT THE FUCK MARCO!" He snarls.

Marco........where have I heard that name. Marco.......oh shit, Marco's supposed to be helping us escape. Yet he is here, covered in blood. This is really bad....