Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Shannon's P.O.V:

We stared at each other for a couple of seconds in silence.  

I could feel myself chewing my bottom lip nervously but I couldn't seem to make myself stop. I looked away from him; I couldn't stare into those eyes anymore. They seemed to see right through me.  

"I'm just going to make some tea, would you like some?" I asked weakly, glancing up at him before looking back at the floor.  

Silence.  

"No" he answered eventually.  

"Umm...okay, I'll just go...yeah...' I trailed off pathetically as I practically ran from the room.

As the kettle boiled, I stood gripping the counter with my eyes shut, taking deep breaths as I tried to remember if I'd done anything to offend him lately.  

Deep down I knew the fear I was feeling was irrational and I knew I hadn't done anything - it's hard to offend someone when you barely spend two minutes in the same room as them - but I couldn't make my heart stop racing.  

Please God don't let this turn into an argument, I prayed.  

We hadn't exactly been getting along lately but we hadn't been fighting either. We'd silently come to an uneasy sort of truce and I didn't want that to change.  

I slowly poured the boiling water on top the teabag in my cup - had it really only been a week since I got here? I sighed; it felt like so much longer. When the tea was ready I turned with the cup in one hand to head back to the living room.  

I jumped, startled when I saw Nick standing in the doorway watching me. I hadn't heard him coming in.  

His carefully blank face instantly turned worried as I stared at him in confusion. It was only then that I noticed that I'd spilt half my tea down my front when I jumped.  

It turns out that boiling water hurts - quite a bit actually.  

"Umm, ow!" I said quietly.  

I couldn't seem to make myself move, I just stared dumbly down at the spreading stain covering my white top. There were splatters of liquid on my arms and the floor but the majority of it had landed across my chest.  

Tears pricked my eyes from the pain.

It seemed like I'd been standing staring at that stain for hours as it spread, but it had only been seconds.  

Nick reacted almost instantly, grabbing a clean cloth from the counter before he stood in front of me attempting to mop me up. He deftly removed my belt, and I barely had time to wonder if he'd had a lot of practice before I felt him tugging my top up.  

"What are you doing?" I gasped trying to pull the hem back down.  

He wouldn't let me, rolling his eyes he continued to tug the flimsy material up exposing more of my stomach with each pull.  

"I have to take this off and see if the water burnt you badly or not" he smiled tightly but it didn't reach his eyes, "Don't worry, I won't try anything."  

I relaxed a little and raised my arms to allow him to pull my t-shirt completely off. I felt like I was 5 again, standing there quietly as he inspected the pink skin on my chest. It stung slightly but it seemed alright.  

I looked up to find Nick staring at me, his jaw clenched.

I suddenly realised that I was standing in front of him in just a bra and my face immediately began to heat up.