Chapters XXII and XXIII

I'm in a generous mood today ;)) Studies are over till next September, not to mention my younger sister completed most of her exams with straight As and all this puts me into a very good mood, a mood where I feel like sharing. Haha, anyway, I'm posting two chapters today instead of one :)

dedicating these chapters to LaniCruzado143, thanks for reading and commenting on my story. I appreciate the support :)

***********************************************************************************

Chapter XXII

“Sarah, do you want to go stargazing?”

Sammy question caught me completely off guard.

“It’s the middle of October, I’ll freeze.”

“Nonsense,” He laughed. “Just wear a warm dress and coat. If you want to know what it means to freeze, live in the slaves quarters at Earl’s Plantation during the winter months. Winters are something dreadful and we didn’t have enough blankets. I’m just asking for an hour or so outside. You won’t regret it, Sarah, the night sky is beautiful.”

“How will I get out of the house?”

“Who was constantly boasting to me of her ability to climb up and down that balcony?”

“And you?”

“How I get out is my business. A quarter past midnight I’ll be waiting for you at the foot of your window. Bring a thick blanket, I don’t have one to spare.”

I was crazy and I knew it. Sneaking out with Sammy in the middle of the night, if we were caught it would just look all wrong; but I was someone easily persuaded. If Jeff had been able get me to do the silliest of things, there was no way I could resist Sammy, and that night I found myself gazing at the dark night sky filled with millions of stars.

“There’s true freedom out there,” Sammy whispered. “I love the night sky, with no limits around it; nothing but endless stars. Why can’t it be that way down here? For some reason on earth it’s always all about limitations, while up there there is no such thing as limits or boundaries.”

He was in one of those moods where he would begin to philosophize about life and the things around him. Sammy was a true thinker. I was never sure exactly how his brain worked, but however it did, it worked none stop. Anything and everything had some sort of meaning, some sort of reason, and he was always trying to figure it out.

“Tell me, Sarah, why is it all so perfect up there and so imperfect down here? The sky is an ideal example of what life on earth is supposed to be like. Don’t you agree?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Perhaps, though I never thought about it like that before.”

“I’ve thought about it a great deal, just like I thought about a lot of things.”

“Oh Sam, you don’t belong down here,” I couldn’t help from saying, “your mind if far away from this mansion, flower garden and plantation. You belong up there with Confucius, Cicero, Newton and all those other great minds.”

“Really, Sarah,” he rolled his eyes.

“You certainly weren’t meant to be a slave,” I stubbornly stuck to my train of thought. “If only uncle could be convinced to send you to college or something.”

“Very funny, black people aren’t accepted into any college.”

I gave a sad sigh because I knew he was right. The only place black people were accepted were the cotton or tobacco fields, or someplace similar.