Chapter XXVIII

Chapter XXVIII

I had only five hours to get Sammy to the Brags before it the sun would begin to rise and all would be lost. I pushed back the covers, slipped out of bed and walked over to my closet. If I was going to pull through a daring rescue mission, I was not going to do it in my nightgown. Out of my closet I pulled out my mother’s old brown working dress. Long ago, my mother had stood in this room, with a daring plan; in the dead of night she stole away from this house, without being seen or caught and had gone off to make her own fortune. Whatever luck had kept her that night, I needed it so much; not for me, for Sammy. I somehow hoped that wearing her dress would give me her courage and strength, not to mention the fact that the dress was simple and plain and comfortable for the task I had set out to do. As soon as I was dressed I went to my dressing table and opening one of my jewelry boxes I retrieved the spare key I had taken from my uncle’s room. Taking the unlit candle that stood on the corner of the dressing table, I silently opened the door and went out into the dark empty hall.

Grasping my dress, which was just a little to long for me, I tip-toed barefoot down the long flight of stairs and came to the first floor of the house. Soon I was at the door of my uncle’s study. Taking a deep breath I slipped the key into the keyhole and turned it. A snap told me the door was unlocked and I pushed it open. Just like the rest of the house, Uncle’s study was engulfed in darkness. I closed the door behind me and only now allowed myself to light the candle. Coming up to the desk, I began my search. It took me a good fifteen minutes, but at last I located the key from the holding shed. It was now twenty past twelve and I still had much to get done. Locking the study, I made my way to the kitchen, where I grabbed a loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese and some apples from a basket in the corner, then silently made my way back up the stairs and to the safety of my room. Only when I was behind the closed door did I allow myself to breathe deeply. So far so good! From another of my jewelry boxes I retrieved the money I had gotten for my jewels. Placing the food in a bag I had prepared earlier, I put the key and money into my pocket and opening my balcony, stepped into the cool night air.

I shivered a little in the wind as I carefully climbed down the vines and managed to safely get to the bottom with only a few scratches on my hands and feet. How glad I was Jeff had taught me to climb up and down these vines as a child, who would have thought one day it would prove to be so useful? Once more lifting my dress, I ran like a frightened deer to where the holding shed was. I knew it wasn’t guarded, so that wasn’t much of a concern, though I did have a nagging thought about what could happen if by chance someone should notice me? I had snuck around this part of the house unnoticed once before, but it had been wind and sleet and not the sort of weather anyone would be want to be outside in. Tonight it was a clear, starry night, but there was no moon, and the cloak of darkness was my one comfort. The grass and dirt pricked my bare feet and I inwardly berated myself for having forgotten to put my shoes on, but there was no going back now and I pressed forward as I was. At last I got to the holding shed and slipped the key into lock and turned it. A snap sounded and the lock clattered to the ground. I held my breath as I hastily retrieved it and looked around. No one was in sight. I pushed the door and it gave an unpleasant groan, causing me to wince and freeze for a couple of seconds. Stillness surrounded me and I took a deep breath, trying to calm my beating heart. It was pitch black inside the shed and I groped around, trying to find Sammy’s sleeping form. At last I stumbled against it. Reaching down, I grasped his shoulder with both hands and gave him a firm shake.

“Sammy, Sammy, wake up,” I whispered.

He bolted into a sitting position. My eyes had adjusted a little to the darkness and I could just barely make out his large frame.

“Who is…” he began before I reached over and shut his mouth.

“Shhh!” I hissed.

“Sarah?” His eyes widened.