Chapter XXIX

Chapter XXIX

“Mr. Greensten, the slave is gone.”

I ran from my room and leaned over the railing of the staircase.

“He’s what?” My Uncle’s voice was filled with surprise and disbelief.

“He’s gone, sir; the holding shed is empty.”

I saw my uncle coming out of his study and I flew back to my room, shutting the door behind me I waited for the inevitable.

I don’t know what time I got home, it was very late, that is for sure. I had returned to the holding shed and locked it once more, then I climbed back to my room, put the key back into Uncle Andrew’s study and gone to bed. I didn’t sleep long though, with the crack of dawn I was wide awake and waiting. Elsie had come to my room and everything the morning procedure went on as it usually did. Breakfast was a silent affair. After breakfast Uncle had gone to his study, Elsie had left to take Sam his breakfast, Aunt Helen was in the drawing room and I slipped the spare key to its proper place. After this I had returned to my room and waited for Sammy’s missing presence to be discovered.

“Sarah.”

I hated how quickly my uncle caught onto things.

“Yes sir.”

“Come to my study please, right this moment.”

“Coming.”

I took a deep breath, told my reflection to be brave; that I was a strong woman who could stand up for herself and went downstairs. Upon entering the study I saw Aunt Helen sitting there. I winced realizing I was going to be attacked from both fronts.

“Have a seat, if you will,” My uncle motioned to a free chair. I pensively sat down and await the storm to strike.

“Where is he, Sarah,” Uncle Andrew was straight to the point.

“Who?”

“Don’t play ignorant with me; where is Sam?”

“I don’t know.”

“Sarah…” My uncle narrowed his eyes.

“I’m honest; I don’t know where he is.”

“Oh, so you weren’t the one who let him out last night?”

He was a quick guesser; that was for sure.

“I was the one.”

“You mean to tell me that you are admitting letting Sam out of the holding shed but you don’t know where he is?”

“I mean just that. Just because I let him out doesn’t mean I’m hiding him somewhere.”

“You let him out,” Aunt Helen frowned and shook her head.

“Helen, please,” Uncle Andrew silenced her. “Why did you let him out?”

“I granted Sam his freedom."

“You what?

“I granted him his freedom. I let him go and he’s gone. Where he went, I don’t know, but that isn’t any of my business anymore. Where he goes and what he does is up to him now.”

“How did you get him out of there?”

“I unlocked the door.”

“How did you get it out of my study without me noticing?”

“I came at night when everyone was sleeping?”

“And how did you get into the study? The door was locked and I had the key.”