Chapter XXX

Chapter XXX

Someone knocked on my door.

“Come in,” I called.

The door opened and Uncle Andrew walked in.

“I don’t regret what I did,” I looked up at him, “I should have done it long ago. I’m only sorry I hurt so many people in the process.”

“You really should apologize to your aunt,” his voice was rather distant.

“I know, I really hadn’t meant to be so rude, but Uncle Andrew, with Aunt Helen if I don’t fight for respect she’ll slander me right and left. I know there is no way to make her like me, but at she can at least be civil. I'll apologize for being rude, but sometimes I do have to stand up for myself.”

Uncle Andrew nodded his head and gave something of a sigh. “I also just wanted you to know, I never thought you would do something…unmaidenly. Helen had her fears, but I stubbornly stuck to the fact that you had sense and knew where to draw the line.” This last sentence made him very embarrassed and he was silent for a few moments. At last walked up and sat on the edge of the bed. “I’m glad she didn’t drown you.”

“Pardon me?” I wasn’t sure what he was talking about.

“You’re mother. I’m glad she didn’t drown you when you were born, I’m glad she kept you,” his voice was gentle and low. “You know, Helen and I don’t have any children, it’s something I knew we would never have when I married her. I’ve always longed for a daughter, Sarah, and my dream came true when you appeared into our lives.”

“I haven’t been exactly the ideal daughter,” I turned a bit red.

“You’ve just got a little too much of your mother in you. It's the same independent spirit, and it needs a little freedom; being cooped up on this plantation all these years is not good for you.”

“I don’t feel comfortable going out into society, everyone here knows the story of my mother and the mystery of my past is something they are always trying to uncover. I’m afraid one day they’ll ask one question to many and before I can stop myself, I’ll give myself away.”

Uncle Andrew smiled and tried not to laugh. I didn’t understand what he found so funny.

“You’re not angry with me, about Sam and all?” I timidly asked.

“I was, but then you brought out a very good point that either way Sam is gone, so what’s the point of me being angry? You’re satisfied, I’m satisfied, and since no one will suspect anything other than another slave escaping from a plantation, and that is not the rarest thing in the world, I suppose we’ll just have to let the past be the past and move on. I’ve seen what holding grudges can do to a family, Sarah, and I will not have it happen here.” He grew quiet for a moment and a faraway look appearing in his eyes. “It’s over and finished and it’s time to move on. The past couple of days I have been in serious thought and have come to the conclusion that it would be best for you to get away from this plantation and from this house. You need to get away from memories and thoughts that will plague you if you remain.”

“You want to get rid of me?”

“Not for good, no. I would never want to do that, but I feel it was wrong of me to keep you locked up here all these years. I wanted to protect you from the way your mother had turned out but I think I took it to the other extreme. You need to breathe some fresh air, so to speak. You need a change of scenery, some new experiences. Living alone in this house, hardly going visiting, hardly meeting anyone your age, it is natural things should have happened the way they did. You’re still young and you need to see the world, meet new people, and make new friends. I feel it would be good for you to travel before you settle down and begin running a household.”