Chapter 3: Kimberley

I take Ronnie’s hand as we follow Logan to an elevator a few yards away.  As he pushes the button I look back at the lobby.  I wonder what this place was like back in its glory days.  Now it was dark and gloomy.  A restaurant was on the other side, its gates were closed.  Logan nudges me, gesturing me towards the now open elevator.  I walk in with him and he pushes the floor 2 button.  The elevator doors close and it shoots up.  My stomach does a flip flop and I hold it to stay in place. 

                “Not a fast person yet, huh,” Logan laughs.  It felt like I’m going to be sick when the door opens.  Logan stepped out unharmed while I was a little woozy.   Ronnie was wobbling all over the place trying to get her balance. “Never new elevators could go that fast.”  I comment.

                “Oh, yes we…fixed that up a little bit making sure if any enemies try to come in, the elevator will provide a quick escape route to warn other soldiers on this level.”  We are on the right side of the hallway facing towards the entrance we came in.  Logan leads us down the right hallway and stops at door 217.  It was on the right as well, facing the mountain.  There is a keypad on the handle of the door.  Logan pushes 7-9-4 and a green light flashes.  He twists the door handle and we walk in.  Ronnie holds my hand tightly.  I can tell she’s as nervous and scared as I am. 

                The room has a leather black couch with a huge king sized bed with white, black, and red comforters on it with the same colored pillows on the bed rest. The couch has green and brown pillows on either side.  A flat screen T.V. was above the fire place and drawers were on the left side of the wall, opposite from the couch and bed.  A coffee table is positioned about a foot or two away from the couch and a sink with a fridge and cabinets are on the right side when you walked in.  The bathroom has a bathtub and a toilet and two sinks. 

                “This is your room,” Logan spreads out his arms like it is a huge welcome.  Instead, to me, it feels like a dream.  A dream I’ll never wake up from.  I used to go on vacations with my family all the time.  But now, all I know is those are only memories, I’ll never have those same pleasures in life with my mother and father again.  I sigh sadly looking down at my feet.  Logan looks down at me with confusion, “What you don’t like it?”

                “No! No, I love it! It’s just…”  I try to hold back tears and try to be the older person but they start to flow down my face and on my neck.  This would be the first time in a new place for us, and realizing mom and dad could never come back.  I felt Logan’s hand come down on me. 

                “I understand, I’ll be back to check up on you guys in a little while.”  He looked in the bathroom then back at us. “Can you take a shower by yourselves?”

                “Of course,” I say suddenly.  "I’m nine, of course I know how to take a shower."                

                “Okay, just making sure.  Here I’ll show you something that I think you might like.” We walk in the bathroom and Logan holds out a remote.  He presses a button and the bath tub started to fill up with water.  Then he pressed another button and the water changed colors, from red, to blue, to yellow, to green, to pink, to white and orange and purple.  “Cool, very cool,” I try to say like it was fantastic, only I am still distraught and just want to sleep, but I smelt like arm pit and sweat. 

                “Um, Logan,” I start.  He looks down at me.  “Could we have some…clean clothes?”  I examine my muddy, dirty nightgown and sigh. 

                “I’ll tell Martha, one of the maids, to get some clean clothes for you.”  He smiles back at me.

                “Thank you Logan,” I sigh.  Suddenly something beeps on is wrist.  He looks down at it.  “Oh, better head down to see what Carson wants.”  He lowers his wrist, “I’ll be back shortly.  You guys get changed and bathe. Are you sure you two are okay up here?”