Chapter 34: Ronnie

I flinch as I sit on the couch at Jama’s house picking up my leg.  The bruise covers my whole right knee.  It wasn’t just from the guy I kneed in the chest but also a few more people I kneed and I was tackled by a man and landed on the knee.  I put a pillow behind my back, leaning against it, letting out a sigh. 

                Nora, the maid, comes over with an ice pack and a hand towel.  She lays the towel across my knee then gently lays the ice pack on it.  “That should help with the swelling.”  She says standing up straight.  “Keep it on for about ten minutes then take it off for about two then put it back on.  Continue that cycle, the swelling should go down and the pain will soon settle.”

                “Thank you, Nora.”  I say.  She smiles kindly and walks away.  I grab the remote and turn on the TV.  I’m wearing black leggings and a Michigan, short sleeved top.  I have my hair pulled back in a messy bun to keep it out of my face. 

                As I watch a movie my mind keeps wandering to Kimberley and Saige.  Are they okay, are they alive?  If only Saige and I didn’t go in the fight this may never have happened.  I start to get clogged up but breathe deeply trying to hold back my tears of guilt.   Then my cell phone rings. 

                I take it and check the ID.  It’s Kimberley.  I click accept and put the phone to my ear.  “Kimberley!”  I gasp frantically wanting to hear her voice.  “Kimberley is that you?”

                “No, it’s someone who has stolen Kimberley’s phone, and decides to call you, what do you think?”  I laugh at her sarcasm.  I am so glad to hear her voice.  She’s alive. 

                “Oh thank God Kimberley, your alive.”                                                                       

                “What, think your sister can’t take care of herself?”

                “No, I know you can take care of yourself but you were out for a long time.”  I say.  “So how are you, where are you.”

                “She’s with us.”  I hear another voice in the background.   Blake’s. “She’ll be staying the night with us and she’ll then go to Jama’s in the morning, so don’t worry.”

                “I’m not worrying.  I was just wondering what happened to her.  Am I on speaker?”

                “Yeah.”  This time I recognize Ivan’s voice in the speaker.  “We need to talk to you about something.”

                “Okay.”  His voice isn’t as happy or sarcastic as the other two.  He seems more down low, getting this over with.

                There is a long pause before a sigh comes through.  “You know Logan was captured right?”   Kimberley’s voice says. I totally forgot about that but then a knot in my stomach grows.  Logan is gone.