Chapter 9: Kimberley

After Ronnie and I had a few courses of food in our stomachs and dessert, we check at the front desk to see if they knew which room Blake stays in.  Turns out, he’s about three doors down from ours.  He has two dorms though.  The lady, Cara, at the front desk says he lives with his brothers and one sister.  Great, a whole bunch that hate me, I think to myself.  I sigh and follow Ronnie to the elevator.     

                We stop at our room and I suggest we take showers first.  More pajamas are laid out for us.  I have a white shirt with plaid red pants and Ronnie had a pink shirt with plaid pink pants. 

                I take a shower and try to scrub of the sweat on myself.  I dry my hair off with a towel and look in the mirror.  My eyes are red from tiredness and my skin is wet from the shower.  I’m a mess.  I sigh and put my hands on the granite table.  The scars catch my eye, I lift my arm up and take a look at the scars I’ve made.  Was it all just last night, everything?  The murder, the scars, becoming outcasts?  I look at myself in the mirror again.  Yes, it was, it was all last night.  I feel tears start to form in my eyes but I quickly wipe them away and walk out of the bathroom.  

                Ronnie takes a quick shower after me.  I grab my pajamas and change on the other side of the bed where she can’t see me naked if she steps out of the shower.  Once I pull up my pants and tie the front Ronnie is already at the door waiting.  “Let’s go already!”  She says eagerly.

                “Geez, I wish I was as enthusiastic as you are about seeing these people.”  I smile.  I slump my shoulders down. 

                “Alright let’s go!”  I can’t respond before she takes of out the door and down the hall three doors down. She looks up at the door grinning her sweet little grin as she watches me slowly walk down the hall.   The feeling of meeting Blake face to face again makes a not in my stomach.  I feel my whole body tense up.

                Suddenly I feel a hand on my arm.  I look down at Ronnie, “Are you okay, you’re shaking.”

                I grab my arm she was holding and realize she was right.  I am trembling.  I am so scared of what can happen.  “I-I’m fine Ronnie,” I lie.

                “Um, okay,” she says taking her arm away.  She hesitates before knocking on the door.  My heart is thumping so hard against my chest and my blood must be going about a hundred miles per hour.  I clutch my chest where my heart is, feeling its fast, hard rhythm. 

                There was silence then someone answers.  “Who is it?”  Their voice is high pitched and I can tell it is a girl who answered. 

                “Um, may we come in?”  Ronnie asks.  We can hear mumbling inside.  Boys and the girl.

                “Not until you tell me why you’re here.”  The girl says again. 

                Ronnie and I exchange a glance.  Then Ronnie turns and sighs, “We are here to see Blake.”