Chapter 23: Ronnie

Kimberley and I don’t talk the way up.  She sits looking out the window and not even turning her head to look at me.  I hold my knees up to my chest feeling like a little girl being torn away from her home. 

                Kimberley jerks up suddenly and watches something go by.  I put my feet back down on the ground and try to look over or around Kimberley’s head.  I get a glimpse of the house for about five seconds before we drive through the forest to get to it.

                Logan stops at metal gates with lasers going over top of them.  Forest surrounded us and we were halfway up the hill on paced road.   A keypad came up on the driver’s side coming up close to Logan so he could type on it.  “Password please.”  A speaker says on the wall.  Logan typed on the keyboard then pressed enter. 

                “Password accepted.” The keypad went back into its hole in the wall then the gates slid open and the lasers turn off.  Logan drives the car up the rest of the hill which seems like ages when he finally stops in front of the house.  It’s huge.  A mansion to be exact.

                Kimberley, Logan and I step out of the car onto the paved, circle driveway circling a fountain of water. An arch way led to the back and a bridge was on top connecting the two parts of the house.  Kimberley and I look up at the house and are in aghast.  It is beautiful and, big. 

                “Hey, between the two of you, both of you have more than ten bags.”  Logan says adjusting one of the three bags he has in his hands.  “I could use your assistance.”  I’ll miss that about him being sarcastic, but completely serious.  I grin and grab two bags out of the trunk.  Kimberley then takes three and we follow Logan around the front of the house.  It faces the Platinum hill and the lodge.  It feels so far away from up here.

                Logan rings the doorbell and a man cracks it open.  He’s shorter than Logan but taller than Kimberley and I.  He has dark skin but has white hair on the top of his head and prickly for his white beard.  He wears a plaid black shirt with tan cargo pants and a cowboy hat.  He looks about in his sixties or early seventies.

                “Jamahoro, so great to see you!”  Logan greets him with a smile. “How are you?”

                “Living,” the man says weakly. His voice cracked and ragged, like an old man’s would be. Wrinkles sag under his eyes and his forehead.  “Come in.”  I watch him as he gestures us inside and turns around.  I begin to gasp but catch myself at the sight of his right leg.  It was gone.  He walks with a metal bionic leg.  Gel was over it to make sure all the metal pieces stay intact but you can see through it.  A bunch of little contraptions were moving around making him walk.  I feel little woozy about following him now, but Kimberley gives me a nudge and that makes me move. 

                Once we step in the house stairs made a crescent shape around a table with two chairs and a vase of flowers in the middle of the small table.  The stairs go up each way ending up together in the middle then going straight the rest of the way up.  White railings line the stairs with red carpeting.  On one side of the house there lies the living room with the biggest TV I’ve ever seen.  It is hanging on top of the mantle above a fire place.