Chapter 16: Kimberley

I sit in the office across from the principle. Her eyes are dark and hard against mine.  Jason and Blake sit in the corner waiting for Logan to come.  I look at the clock and see the time, 0830.   I rest my arm on the side of the chair and sit lopsided trying to get more comfortable.  I twiddle my thumbs together in boredom and look around the room.  It was fairly small, not many pictures, but some plants and some pretty lights.  The room was a calming sea blue color, with white trim around the door and windows on the right when you walk in looking out into the main part of the school.

                Jason and Blake both look board out of their minds sitting in two chairs in the corner.  At least they didn’t trip two officers and punch a guy they hate in the gut.  I’m so stupid, how could I have done something so stupid and foolish.  I squint my eyes thinking to myself.  I want to run away, far away where my troubles won’t find me.  But I can’t, because trouble always finds me, and I’d rather have somebody to face my problems with then face them alone.  That’s why I’m glad I have Logan, my cousins, Ronnie, even Carson and I have our own special bond.  James is another story, we don’t really talk.  He keeps his distance and I keep mine. 

                The closest we’ve ever come to friends is when I had to train with him because Logan was out on a field mission.  There was nobody left to train with so I got stuck with him and Blake.  Luckily, Blake knows how to handle him.  That was the most time we’ve ever spent together, probably.  We occasionally greet each other in the hallways or whenever we see one another, but other than that, we are completely isolated from the other person.

I hear the door knob handle turn and the four people in the room turn their heads to see who walks in. Except we all know who it is, Logan steps in wearing a dark green, long sleeved, collared shirt with three buttons on the top.  The first one is unbuckled, and he wears cacky pants with brown leather shoes.  I see he is also wearing a black leather watch.  “Sorry it took so long to get here.  The traffic on the roads is horrible.”  He turns to Blake and Jason as he close the door.  He grins and waves hi to them and comes to take a seat next to me.  

                I don’t turn to meet his eye, one because I’m scared of what he’s going to say and two because I really don’t want to see the expression on his face.  He places a coat he is carrying on the arm of his chair.  “So, what’s this all about?  I hear she brought a knife to school, that doesn’t seem like her.”

                Ms. Lu just smirks.  “Boys,” she looks at Jason and Blake and they both stand.  “Thank you for your help, you may return to your classes.” She waves her hand lazily to the door before sitting down.  I turn to see Jason and Blake walk out but Jason stops and turns back to me.  He gives me a small grin and thumbs up.  I narrow my eyes, but grin slightly and wave him off.    

                I turn back around taking a deep breath and letting it out.  I can see Logan look at me from out of the corner of my eye.  I turn my eyes slightly for a second then look back at Ms. Lu. 

                “Mr. McCarthy-“