CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

MADISON

She hasn't slept the whole night, thinking about the not-kiss repeatedly in her mind, unable to stop thinking of it.

Or how much she'd loved it.

Or how much she wanted it to happen again.

As Madison and Audrey get into her car for school, Audrey is watching her carefully as she slides into her seat, adjusting her school skirt. Madison had insisted Audrey stay the night, having almost resorted to throwing Audrey's phone across the room as Kyle had blown it up with his incessant texting and calls. Instead, she had called back, with her sweetest tone, and told Kyle to stop hounding Audrey, while Audrey had shaken within her arms and begged Madison to stop.

Madison purses her lips.

Kyle still thinks that he and Audrey are in a relationship and Audrey still thinks Kyle loves her, begging Madison to not lift a finger. But Madison can't. She has to do something, regardless of what Audrey wants.

Madison turns her head towards Louie and orders quickly, "Lula's house, Louie. Elliot and Maria say they're coming separately."

Audrey clears her throat delicately and tears apart the warm, buttered croissant within her thin fingers. 

"Are you not going to eat, Madison?" she asks, putting a piece of the croissant into her mouth. When Madison opens her mouth to remind her of her diet, Audrey continues quickly, "I know you're on a diet, but you look perfect, Madison."

"I know," Madison agrees, but she narrows her eyes. "But flattery won't work on me. Don't change the subject, Audrey," she tells Audrey, who flushes hotly. "You're breaking up with Kyle, Audrey. If you won't let me at him, the least you can do is break up with the asshole."

"But Madison –,"

"He hurt you, Audrey," Madison bites angrily towards Audrey. "I don't know how many times I can tell you that that is not how your boyfriend is supposed to treat you! You're a queen, Audrey. You're perfection personified –,"

"No," Audrey says, shaking like a leaf, as she begins to cry. "No, Madison, I'm not. I tried – I tried really hard to be strong but I'm – I'm not. I'm not like you or Maria or –,"

Madison could scream in frustration. She can't understand Audrey sometimes. 

"Audrey –,"

"You don't know what it's like, Madison," Audrey sobs. "You'll never know what it's like, how could you? You're perfect." She says it like it's a curse and Madison frowns in confusion towards her. "I love Kyle – I love him. I can't – he's – he's everything to me, please. Please, don't say anything, Madison, please!"

She's beginning to grow hysterical and Madison knows Audrey when she gets into this kind of state, fraught with frustration. It's not that Audrey won't listen, it's that Audrey's confusing hysterics make it hard for her to pick up anything. Madison stares at Audrey before she reaches forward to hug the girl, her brows furrowing together in thought. She understands what Audrey's saying.

Audrey's too in love with Kyle to break things off, so Madison's going to have to do it for her.

"Alright," Madison murmurs, her breaths fraught against Audrey's perfectly straightened hair. "Alright, Audrey. It's okay, you're okay. I got you. I know how much Kyle means to you, I do." Her voice is taut as Audrey nods. "Come on, Lula's house is coming up soon. We've got to get you cleaned up."

Audrey attempts to stop herself crying as Madison fumbles through their bags, to help to blot away some of the tears. She's thankful that Audrey has such good skin and a naturally beautiful face that the lack of some make up won't go unnoticed. Even her eyes are completely fine, with none of the usual puffiness that used to plague Madison when she used to cry. Louie clears his throat a few minutes before they drive up to Lula's house and Audrey sits back, finally perfectly fixed up within the few minutes they'd had.