CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

MADISON

Friday morning is a breath of fresh air, after the stifling week of exams that they've had.

This exam is the last one of the week and they've only got a few left, scattered throughout the few weeks, but at least the worst is over. Becky flits about the place, organising things as she snaps out crisp orders to the servants.

"Good morning, Becky," Madison says, as she smooths down her school skirt. "Remember that I have a full day today, which means Windsor has to be with you for the weekend. Does he still need his bed or is he alright now?"

"Good morning, Miss Madison," Becky says easily, as Madison drinks the glass of water she gives. "Windsor is good now, but I think it's best to take the bed. Thank you, Miss Madison. My niece does love playing with him." Madison continues to drink, so she doesn't have to reply. "A package came for you."

"Is it from Mother?" Madison asks, and she can't keep the note of eagerness out of her voice.

Becky lifts her head and her eyes are bright, her lips drawing into a soft curve.

"Maybe, Miss Madison?"

"Thank you, Becky. Please tell Louie to wait, while I open this," Madison says, and her heart cannot contain herself, with the excitement running through her veins.

She is almost shaking as her fingers unwrap the boxed gift tentatively, caressing the pale tissue paper as it crinkles under her touch. Madison hasn't ordered anything lately, she doesn't think, and there's no name or note, so it could still be Mother. When she opens the box, to her confusion, the paper tearing, within it lies a ...cupcake?

Mother would never send her a cupcake.

Disappointment sinks within her, threatening to swallow her whole.

Clearing her throat, Madison fumbles around the box, putting the cupcake on the table, a little away from her with some care. It's from a Redwood bakery, she realises, her brows furrowing together as Madison's gaze turns back to the cupcake.

"Becky?" Madison calls.

The housekeeper turns her head.

"Yes, Miss Madison?"

"Did you see who left this here?"

"No, Miss Madison," Becky says, shaking her head. Her gaze falls on the cupcake and she breaks out into a soft smile. "It could be your boyfriend, Miss Madison."

Madison almost chokes.

"I don't have a boyfriend," she snaps, but unbidden, Nick's face pops up in her mind.

His stupid handsome face and his stupid smug smile, she thinks and shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, Miss Madison," Becky says quickly. "I just meant to say that it's a nice gift. Looks homemade, too."

It is a nice gift, Madison admits.

It's a perfectly sweet chocolate cupcake, lavishly spread with thick cream and decorated with a glacé cherry on top. The cupcake sits harmlessly on the table and Madison's mouth waters at the sight, her control slipping from her fingers.

Her fingers reach out before she can stop herself and Madison plucks the sugared cherry, rolling it between her fingers. Becky is still standing there, but there's something like a warmth and hope lingering within her features.

"I shouldn't eat this," Madison says to Becky, her voice slightly thin. "I'm on a diet."

"Of course, Miss Madison," Becky says, and Madison's stomach clenches.