Stronger Together

Disclaimer: All Fairy Tail Characters Belong to Hiro Mashima, Tiamat is loosely based on Tiamat from Forgotten Realms which Belongs to Wizards of the Coast, LLC. The traits of the chromatic dragons have been altered to match the dragon slayers in the Fairy Tail Universe. Drakan belongs to Surreal Software.

Chapter 33: Stronger Together

Silver looked down at his body in horror. He had thought that after the infernal heat he had experienced from Kai's attack he would have disintegrated to ash or at the very least died. It would have been nice to put an end to the seventeen years of hell he had endured since Keyes singled him out for his experiments. Instead his entire body was charred and he was in excruciating pain. He laughed bitterly at his cursed luck. It seemed his life was linked to Keyes. He would not be able to die unless the necromancer willed it or died himself, which meant that the demon bastard was alive somewhere. At some point the little Dragon Slayer girl had come to tend to him but he had refused her help knowing full well he did not deserve it.

"It wasn't your fault.", Wendy told him softly in her kind voice as she looked at him sadly. She had heard about what had happened from the others and she knew that Gray's father had fought as hard as he could. She walked away and headed back towards Natsu.

He really wanted to believe that but he knew deep down that it was his fault. He had not wanted to hurt Natsu, he'd tried to fight the compulsion off as best he could but he had not been strong enough to fight off Tiamat and in short order he had destroyed his family. He looked over at his son who was huddled over his unconscious mate, a broken expression on his face as he looked up to the sky at his son who was fighting that blasted dragon. There was nothing he could do for them at the moment and he sincerely doubted Gray wanted anything to do with him anyway, not that Silver could blame him.

"Do you really think that denying yourself medical treatment is going to change anything?", an arrogant sounding voice interrupted his thoughts. Silver opened his eyes to see Lyon standing above him. The ice mage covered the Devil Slayer's charred body in a thin layer of ice.

"I thought you were smarter than that.", Lyon continued then he snorted, "Then again you are Gray's father."

"What do you want Lyon?", Silver asked tiredly, "I'm not in the mood for games right now."

"You shouldn't beat yourself up over what happened. He'll forgive you, you know. That idiot is incapable of holding a grudge, even when he should.", Lyon said as he sat down next to Silver, "For years I blamed him for so many things and when he got in my way I tried to kill him. You know what that dumb bastard did?"

"He saved me.", Lyon continued without waiting for Silver's response, "So trust me when I tell you, it might not happen today but Gray will forgive you. As for the fire bastard, he'll pull through. I'm the one who found him back when Tiamat had him. I never thought he would survive his injuries, our healer didn't either, but he did. He's a fighter. He'll forgive you too, right after he gets a chance to kick your ass."

"I'm still trying to wrap my head around the two of them being together.", Lyon chuckled.

"Because they're both men?", Silver asked curiously.

"No, I don't care about that.", Lyon said honestly, "It's because they're them."