*UPDATED* Chapter 9: The Calling

Lockdown.

That's the conclusion the king and prince came to upon their return. Prince Oceanus had made a beeline straight for the throne room as soon as they entered the palace. And he wasted no time in explaining Serena's current situation to King Neptune.

Which leads to her current predicament. They decided that it was best to keep her confined within her room until such time as Calder summons her or comes up with an explanation for her presence here.

It's been a day since then. As usual, Serena took her breakfast at the table on the right side of the room. Princess Arcelia joined her for breakfast and stayed for about an hour until she was called away by a servant.

Since then, Serena has been sitting upon cushions in the alcove window, watching the gardens outside. Not that there's anything interesting happening there worth keeping her attention.

Aaralyn hasn't had the time to show her around, busy as she is with her own palace duties. There's also the matter of their being palace guards stationed outside her door to prevent her from leaving. Courtesy of Prince Oceanus, of course.

Serena's lips work themselves into a frown as she racks her brain for a way to escape. If there's no obvious way for her to return home as a human, then she should at least be allowed to go where she pleases. Sitting in a room all day with no one to talk to is maddening.

Serena's gaze briefly flickers over every part of the window. It's mainly comprised of intricate, curvy white grilles that form a lovely pattern across the crystal glass.

But her eyes abruptly stop upon a latch located between the two panes. It's golden color attracting her eye as it catches the light filtering in from outside.

Then her hair floats into her face, and she suddenly remembers that she's underwater. If she were to leave out the window, there'd be no cause for concern. She wouldn't fall if there isn't any gravity.

A wicked smile curls its way onto her lips as she unlatches the window and pushes them open. She turns back to face the doors; afraid the guards might come through and stop her. However, nothing happens.

And then she hears it. That familiar song, growing persistently louder. Yet the voice is familiar—sounding so much like her elder brother's—like Rodion's. But such a thing isn't possible, and yet it compels her towards it.

She mindlessly leaves her room, darting through the water to follow that haunting song filled with such sorrow. And she doesn't question it. Surely it must be her brother, no matter how impossible it seems otherwise.

And yet, she knows that she shouldn't just idly follow disembodied voices. One would think she'd learn after the last time since that's what landed her in her current mess, to begin with.

Though, she has no more control over her body. The song calls to her—its pain and sorrow reaching inside to dredge up her own variations of those feelings.

So, she keeps following the voice—wary of the danger, but desperate for the singer. After all, if no one else here will help her, then her family surely will.

This is significantly farther from where she had woken up three days ago. She had followed the voice at a preternatural speed that she hadn't become aware of until she was standing before a seawall.

Serena tilts her head up—gaze tracing up the wall that seems to continue for miles.

She takes a minute to rack her brain. She vaguely recalls there being some kind of importance to seawalls.