*UPDATED* Chapter 17: Unexpected Developments

The surface—a decidedly retched place, at least in his opinion. The humans care little for their own. Honestly he isn't even here by choice but he has an order to obey and a mission to fulfill. So far he's observed a continuous stream of disappearances but the humans don't seem to care even as they go missing one by one.

His face scrunched up in thought, he stares below at the humans going about their daily business as he contemplates on something he's been seeing with increasing frequency. "That suspicious being might have something to do with this...but I find this to be a bit disconcerting," he mutters. He crosses his arms and furrow his brow.

This "being" that he speaks of acts as a shadow, disappearing and reappearing whenever a human would turn up missing. Such occurrences had been rare up until a few weeks ago.

It started with the missing girl then her brother not too long after. As his master sees it, there's a growing threat in the ocean and these humans clearly have some role to play in its grand scheme. As to what? That's why he's investigating the surface, much to his displeasure.

"Well that was a dead end," A man sighs as his eyes are turned towards the direction of the voice. Below him stand two men, both young but the other one may hap a bit younger.

They have just exited from the library he currently stood atop of and seemed to be frustrated over something. It only takes him a few minutes to recognize their faces as they're the ones related to the two missing siblings but that isn't all he notices.

Hiding within the shadows of the building he can just barely make out the figure of the one responsible for the missing humans. Judging by where they currently stand and where their focus seems to be it is obvious that they have chosen their next victims.

Those being the two males leaving the library who are too caught up within their conversation to notice the danger lurking nearby.

However there is little he can do. He wasn't granted any permission to act or utilize his abilities on land. He was sent to observe and investigate-nothing more.

"Then now what?" The younger of the two asks as he's left with little choice but to follow them due to the one who shadows them.

The elder one doesn't look at him but continues to stare forward as he releases a sigh. "We go see what Zale has found." At this the younger one seems to become exasperated as he lets out a sigh whilst rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, if he actually managed to get out of whoever's bed he's sleeping in," he says mockingly as his thoughts drift over to that red head he'd seen his brother going off with last night.

"Now, now Rion. Don't forget that family is just as important to him as it is the rest of us."

"I'd like to hear that from you again when Zale ditches us to go 'play' with some chick he picked up off the street."

Clearly the younger one seems to have a mouth on him or maybe just a lack of respect for those older than him but whichever it is matters little to his elder brother as he disregards the words of the one called "Rion."

Just great, the last thing he wanted to do was play babysitter to a group of brats but so long as that shadow is there, he must be there also even if it means babysitting a few humans...

-

Surely she must have lost her mind. Why? Because she's actively seeking out the Prince of Aquaria when she had been trying her best to avoid him just a few weeks before but what he told her, strangely enough, has allowed her to see him in a new light. Not that new but new enough to where she'll at least try to make an effort to get to know him which is long overdue since she and her brother are a pair of freeloaders mooching off of his family's luxuries.