Chapter 33: Aegaea

Aegaea. No matter how many books she flips through or how many scrolls she finds, nothing can be found on this person. She has her suspicions as to who this person could be, but she wants to be absolutely certain she has it correct.

She's spent nearly the entire day hiding in the library. Mostly to avoid Lord Hallmar, who has been searching for her since earlier this morning. Unfortunately, she hasn't been that lucky in avoiding his precious daughter.

-

She had been swimming through the halls in search of the library a little earlier. She had spent a good few minutes complaining about how big the palace is and how lost she was. As she had rounded a corner, Delmara had been rounding that same corner. Luckily she had enough sense to stop before a collision could happen, and she had been expecting Delmara to continue on her way and ignore her like usual. However, that hadn't been the case this time.

She had donned an expression of mock surprise that did little to hide her contempt. "Ah, what a surprise. I did not expect to see...Rodion's younger sister today?"

She remembers grinding her teeth together, because Delmara couldn't even be bothered to remember her name. Yet her little crush on her brother allowed her to remember her relationship to him. Not that she isn't used to this by now. It's no surprise to her that her brothers' annoyingly good looks have awarded them all kinds of attention, but it's only particularly annoying when all of their interactions are interrupted by a random girl when they're out in public.

Suddenly, Delmara's voice interrupted her thoughts with an annoyed tone slipping into it. "I believe I asked you a question so I would suggest you answer it." Serena then frowned. This girl has got to be worse than Raquel...

With a resigned sigh she replied, "I am. Though I have not a clue as to why you would bother talking to me now?" She couldn't help but let slip a tone of suspicion, originating from her own knowledge of Delmara's potential plans. It could be that her father had relayed his intentions to her, and this was the beginnings of a trap to make her disappear without a fuss.

Although, that didn't seem to be the case as she then said, "I would know what you have done to earn the prince's attention." The statement had certainly caught her off guard to say the least, but she had no answer to give her. After all, she, herself, didn't know how she was awarded the prince's absolutely positive attention when she got here.

So she shrugged with something of a helpless expression upon her face. She then said, "I have no answer to that question myself. I have no idea how I even managed it." And that was the truth of it, but Delmara didn't really seem to care for the answer. Her ruby red lips twisted into something akin to a scowl as she balled a well-manicured hand into a fist.

However, that expression didn't last too much longer before she released what must've been a calming sigh. She proceeded to school her expression into something a little less temperamental, and gave the tiniest of smiles.

"I see, then I shall not hold you here any longer then." Her words were kind enough, but it didn't take Serena any inhuman hearing to take notice of the resentment in her tone. What did I ever do to her? It's not like I was purposefully trying to get his attention! Yet she didn't allow those thoughts to make themselves plain on her face, and managed to maintain a blank expression. One that had always served her well in hiding her inner most feelings.

Delmara began to continue on her own way, but just before she continued further down the hallway she added, "Before I forget..." Serena flinched as her posture became tense. Delmara continued, "My father was searching for you. He would have words with you as well." And just like that, she was gone without another word. Not that she had needed to say anything to else to scare her out of her wits even more than she was already. There wasn't a single doubt in her mind that Delmara knew of her father's intentions, if her tone was any indication. She definitely had no qualms with ushering her would-be rival into the metaphorical lions' den or, in this case, a frenzy of sharks.