Chapter 30: Prisoner of the Mind

Thoughts that bind and keep one prisoner are the most fierce some of any beast or monster. Or at least, that's what she thinks as she floats in this endless abyss that sits between dream and reality.

She is a slave to her mind, and escape is futile no matter what she does.

"Serena, my dear," her mother coos as her outstretched arms wait patiently for her to enter them.

She doesn't even question her mother's appearance. Not even when her light blonde hair mysteriously floats about her like a flowing halo. Nor when her blue eyes are completely obscured by a radiant white light. A light that beckons to her in the never ending darkness.

Reflexively, like she would as a child, she calls out, "Mom, why did you leave me behind?" Her voice is small like that of a frightened child. When she glances at her hands, she finds that they are small and so are her feet. Has she become a child again?

Her mother intercepts her thoughts as she takes a step forward. Her white dress billows as carelessly as her hair amidst the darkness.

Then, she says soothingly, "You know I would never leave you." And she smiles even brighter. "Come. I shall protect you from all the bad things in this world."

And any thought as to why she's a child leaves her mind as she eagerly runs into the arms of her mother. She squeezes her eyes tightly shut as she basks in...what should've been her warmth, but she feels nothing. Yet it never occurs to her as to why that is.

"Serena?"

She opens her eyes to look up at her mother and suddenly she's not a child anymore. "Yes, mom?"

Her mother's sweet voice abruptly becomes deeper with a strict undertone as she asks, "Why did you disobey me?"

However, Serena isn't quite certain as to what she means by that. "Huh?"

"Your father and I have told you many times to stay away from the sea. So why did you disobey us?" And all at once her tone becomes accusing as she continues, "If you had listened I would still be here and so would your father. You and your brothers would be safe at home where this world is only myth."

Guilt grips at her chest as a dull pain begins to settle within her heart.

Tears begin to stream from her eyes. "I am sorry, mom! I did not mean to! I didn't want you to die! I didn't want any of this to happen!"

Her mother's appearance quickly morphs into something twisted. Something horrifyingly familiar that plagues her waking thoughts, and immediately she backs away from her.

That black-hearted siren, Aquanetta, looks upon her with a mocking look of pity. "Poor child. How unfortunate that your family has experienced such pain on account of your actions," says the beastial creature in such a sickeningly sweet tone. "But worry not, for Lord Proteus wants you. He needs you in fact, and he will give you everything you desire..." She trails off as her words quickly shift to something of a monstrous cackle that resonates within her ears that have turned into fins.

Her legs have become a tail just as a giant merman shrouded in darkness appears behind Aquanetta. Glowing red lights take the place of his eyes and mouth as his mouth opens into a grin.

"This one will do very nicely," he says with a sinister chuckles as he reaches out a hand for her. She quickly realizes that she's paralyzed and desperately begs her body to move, but to no avail.

And as if fate wished to play a cruel joke she's able to move her tail, but just as suddenly her world turns black as Proteus closes his fist around her with her last response being a horrified scream...