Chapter 4

AVA's

After we were all outside the building, we mounted the bus in an organized manner. This is a trap, I thought to myself.

I didn't understand why Cortez was being so patient with us. Yes, he yelled loud and wanted stuff done quickly, but he wasn't rushing us or at least giving his all.

The bus took us an approximation of 3 miles, which may seem really short on a vehicle but is pretty long to walk by foot.

It was 6:45am and it was still pretty dark outside. When the bus tolled to a stop, the driver got off after turning on the lights and Cortez left the bus.

Everyone was mumbling and whispering.

What the heck is going on?  I didn't voice out.

From my seat I saw Cortez's form approach another two. They all wore the same uniform. I couldn't really see their features, all I could make out was that Cortez had the widest shoulders, the middle one was the shortest and the last one had medium build and was second tallest.

They seemed to be discussing something, as I saw them pointing at the buses. They all nodded in agreement and I saw as Cortez headed to the third bus in the line. The shortest one went on the middle bus and the last to the first, that being my bus.

My stomach churned and knotted in anticipation. This was it. The mumbling grew louder as everyone noticed the man approaching the bus.

I heard steps going off the stairs and a piercing voice break through the mumble.

"I need everyone to listen up and shut up," Instant silence took over the bus. You could hear a pin drop. It was surprising, because even though this man wasn't as big as Cortez, his voice deep and intimidating. His tone was cold and strained.

He made Cortez sound like he had a tone to his voice, because you could tell that this man was straight business.

"Welcome to Fort Jackson, you all are now part of 3rd Battalion Foxtrot Kilo 39. You will be situated in unit 6." He 'welcomed', even though it seemed more like a statement or command.

Whispers were heard. "Did I say you could talk?" He suddenly snapped.

Even though I couldn't see the man, due to my sitting in the back, I could tell he was angry.

"I am Sergeant First Class Carter. From here on out you will address me as Drill Sergeant. Everyone understood?"

"Yes, Drill Sergeant." An echo was heard as the yells bounced off the walls of the small bus, making my ears hurt.

"I said everyone, Understood?" He asked, demanding a louder volume.

"YES, DRILL SERGEANT." Everyone yelled in unison.

"The only things that come out your mouth from here on out is 'Yes or No' Drill Sergeant. I will not tolerate any other addressing." He informed.

"Listen up, you have 2 minutes to get off my bus-" he paused as people began to stand.

"SIT DOWN, did I say go?" He asked and everyone that stood, sat back down.