Chapter 7

CARTER's

"Are you shitting me? they still require a lot of work." I grabbed the cold glass of beer to chug what was left in the glass. "Another one please" I said while flagging down the bartender with my hand but Sylvia put it down. "That's enough for today. We still have work tomorrow." My face was plastered with a frown. "Plus they weren't that bad." Sylvia continued. I just stared at her.

"Ok well maybe they are a bit unorganized-" "Sylvia."

"Alright they're REALLY unorganized but it's not something you cant handle. We weren't any better when we started." She finished her sentence while getting up from her seat and gathering her purse. I took my wallet out and left a twenty dollar bill for the bartender. I followed Sylvia to the exit and walked beside her once we were out.

I attempted to grab her hand but she immediately shook it off. "We're near the base. They don't know about us yet and I want to keep it that way." She widened her stride putting some distance between the two of us. Oh, you want to play that game, alright let's play.

I grabbed onto my ankle. "Ow, ouch. Ahhh Sylvia I got a cramp! SYLVIA!!" She came running and once I had her in front of me I grabbed her face and began to kiss her. Her initial instinct was to kiss me back but as soon as she noticed what I had done, she began to push back and hitting my chest. Not budging I tightened my grip around her waist. "Carter! Carter stop!" She whispered between kisses.

When I stopped I looked down at her flustered face. "What if I don't hide what we have anymore?"

"I want to kiss you and hold you in front of anyone at whatever time. I want you to meet my family and introduce you to my friends. Sneaking around is for teenagers Sylvia, I want this to be solid. Does that sound so bad?" My hands lowered from her hips to grab her hands. I watched her face for a change of expression, maybe excitement but nothing came. She slowly let my hands go. "Wilson, I'm sorry. I have my reasons." She began to walk away. "So when will I know?"

She turned around. "What?"

"When will I know what that reason is? When will you trust me enough to tell me." My anger began to get the best of me and I raised my voice. "See that's the thing with you. It's all fun and games until someone gets serious. Right?" I pushed for an answer.

She scoffed. "I don't have time for this today." She turned around and silently left. Watching her figure become smaller and smaller my anger just got bigger and bigger. How can a person live like this? So many secrets and things unsaid. Deciding that I did not give a single care in the world, I turned back around and walked right back into the bar for a couple more drinks.

_________

I woke up to my alarm going off. I pushed myself off the bed, coming to immediately regretting a second later. My head throbbed, reaching for the bottle of water that I periodically leaving in my nightstand I notice the time.

0425 Holy shittttt!

Jumping off the bed I rushed towards the bathroom to take a quick shower. I brushed my teeth in a hurry and played around with my short trimmed hair to make it look like I did something with it, not like it made a big difference though. Making sure my combat boots were tightly laced. I tucked my shirt in my pants, put of my cap and headed out the door. I ran down the stairs, across the training field to the bunks were Cortez, Ramirez and Miller awaited for me. Clearing my throat I spoke. "Sorry."

Sylvia approached me tipping my hat up. "Jesus Wilson-" She scoffed. I was starting to really hate that scoff. "How much did you drink?" Ramirez butted in "Yeah not to throw salt in your wound but you do like sorta bad, dude."

"Thanks " I said pulling my hat lower in my head to cover my eyes. "Not to interrupt anyones private conversations but we need to wake them up so who's doing the honor?" He asked titling his head towards the bunks. "I got bunker #4" Sylvia said dismissing herself from the group huddle. "I guess I got #3" Ramirez said while walking away. "Cortez wake up bunker #1, I got #2." We both nodded and walked over towards the bunkers.

Once we all stood in front of each and every different door, we silently watched our watched which were all synchronized and barged into each door when hour 0600 hit. I kicked in the door and began to yell.

______________________

Hello there! surpriseee! sorry for the short chapter I'm really trying to bring chapter after chapter for you guys with the minimal amount of waiting possible. Do me a favor and hit that ⭐️ if you enjoyed this chapter and leave a comment telling me what your favorite color is :)