Chapter 11

AVA's pov

My alarm went off and I opened my eyes with furious determination. I move as silently as possible, watching to make sure I dont wake Laura. I manage to climb down from my bed, down the cylinder -shaped cold metal stairs. As I reached the bottom my foot slipped causing it to plummet into the floor. I nervously watch as Laura winces in her sleep and turns in her covers, her back to me.

I sigh of relief leaves my body and I place both my feet down. I turn around to almost yell my lungs out. Behind me stood Harper, she had been waiting for me to move so she could go through the slim space between the beds to get her boots. "Jesus! Why do you do thattt!??" I asked in a loud whisper.

Her tall dark figure responded. "I was just waiting for you to move. I dont know why you were acting so strange.." she stops speaking and turns her face towards Laura , only to silently laugh. "Dont worry she won't wake up. That girl sleeps heavier than a bear in hibernation. Do you know how many times I've gone out to train early in the morning and both of you never notice?" She gestures for me to move aside and I do.

"By the way you snore." She says with a louder laugh this time, ceasing to whisper. I do?

Grabbing her boots, she sat on the bottom bunk bed across from Laura and slipped a boot in and began lacing it. "So are you gonna just stand there? The gym awaits, lets go!"

"Right. I should do that.." I quickly walk around the looking for athletic clothing. I had packed all type of working out clothes which just included basic pants and old t-shirts. I check through out the bag pulling out shirts, pants and all sorta of clothes I had never packed.

This is why I can not let this woman touch anything.

"Whats wrong? Why aren't you getting dressed?" Harper asked as I panicked looking to see if she had left at least some of my old stuff. Giving up, I answer "My mom went through my luggage and replaced my work out clothes with whatever this is." I stick my hand in the bag to pull out what seemed to be spandex short-shorts.

"You sure your mom knew you were going to the military?" she laughed hysterically. "These look like they fit a five year-old and not to mention the length!"

"Okay calm down I think I have some of my work out clothes I can lend you." Harper goes towards her drawers grabs a pair of pants and a shirt and tosses it.

"Hurry up and change we are already behind. I'll wait for you outside." She proceeds to head out the bunker and I undress and fast and humanly posible, tying my hair in a messy bun without even double checking it.

I head to the end of the hall and brush my teeth. I splash a bit of water on my face to wake up and make my way outside where Harper is waiting.

We make our way to the gym, which was right next to the cafeteria. As we walked there, we saw other peers from the different battalions, some were up early even before ours; practicing color guard and marching drills.

We entered the gym and surprisingly it wasn't packed. My notion of going to the gym in a military base was that it would be filled with ripped military men who looked intimidating.

I follow Harper around the heavy looking weights, until she comes to a stop. "I'm going to the restroom before we start you can just wait over by the water fountains. It'll just take a minute or two." She said pointing where the water fountains were located, I just nodded my head silently and began making my way to the fountains.

Looking around the gym I slightly turn my head to the left where no other than Sam was, using the mountain climbers. He looked exhausted. I could tell he was trying his best but his face was hilarious. He dragged his feet , pushing himself to finish his timer. His face was dripping with sweat and glowing with a slight red-blush.

"Excuse me." I turn to the right only to meet Carter. He stood tall with a sleeveless shirt and a pair of shorts, a small towel was resting behind his neck. His chest was raising and falling rapidly and he was pointing at the water fountain. "The water." He let out simply.

It was not until then that I realized I had been leaning on the button and the water had been going the whole time. It had built and gotten a portion of my pants wet, or I should say Harper's pants wet.

I push myself off the fountain and start rubbing my hand along the pants to try to get it to at least look like I didn't pee my pants. As I am doing so Carter I notice Carter bend behind me reaching for a sip of water.

His shirt slightly rises on his hip, revealing an inked part of his skin. The gap was too small so I couldn't really tell what it was.

"First day in and you're already checking out someones ass and here I thought women were the ones being sexualized." Sam, coming next to us let out.

I rip my eyes from Carter to face Sam. His glowing face now in from of me with a cheeky smile. "Shut up...-" I loudly whispered giving him a dead glare. Carter straightens up from his sip of water and raises a brow. "I wasn't um..Drill Sargent, sir. I-"

"Alright, let's go." Harper had come back ready to begin our workout, throwing everyone out of topic. "Yup! let's go." I quickly saw myself out of the conversation and grabbed Harper by the arm, pulling her away from Carter and Sam.

Once we were a safe distance away, I stopped. "Ok, coach put me in. What are doing?"

"You are just going to be using this around your ankles-" She pulls out a restraining band from a side rack. Grabbing it from her I do as she says and she begins placing her own resistance band around her ankles.  "start pivoting from left to right back and forth building a resistance. Make sure your posture is up right and that you are fully making the movement. to efficiently warm up the muscles, otherwise you are just wasting your time with sloppy motions that aren't giving you any benefit." She begins demonstrating and I just follow her.

"This seems pretty easy. I could do about a thousand of these with no problem."

"Just wait. Don't get ahead of yourself, it is pretty simple but the continuity of the movement will tire you out." She was not wrong, within 3 minutes of the pivoting my outer thighs burned.

We proceeded to workout for an hour. Harper was efficiently working through every set. She lifted weights and made them look as light as feathers. We were leaving the gym around when Carter was finished his workout. As we reached the left door, he reached the right. He walked out headphones on, not a single word.

I unconsciously felt disappointment. We know him, dont we? Why didn't he speak to us?

"Ok I'll reach you some time next week!" A guy shouted behind us, catching our attention. As I look behind me I notice Miller in a sports bra and some questionable shorts.

She was waving to the guy. Who at the time had a sly smile on his face. He proceeded to leave the gym and Miller's smile dropped.

A girl came by her asking, "Why would you do that? Aren't you going out with Carter?"

"Going out? Who? If he knew how to act, I wouldn't have to go and make him jealous, to make him realize I'm the best he can get." She stared dead at the girl, who seemed to be her friend.

What a spiteful bit-

"Hey calm down dude. I was just flirting, she was the one who kept giving me the eye."  I look outside to find the man who had just left being held by his collared-shirt by Carter who had a fist in the air.

"At ease, soldier!!" An old man entered the picture. He wore a uniform filled with ribbons and awards. His face was wrinkled and his hairline was undoubtedly white. However, you could tell he was real handsome in his time.

Carter stopped looking over my way. At first glance, I thought he was looking at me, but then I hear the steps behind me and turn my head to see a red-headed girl.

Carter's face went emotionless and letting go of the man he simply walked away.

____________
THE LONG AWAITED CHAPTER IS HERE!
I have brought my minimum word count up by 500 and will continue to increase it. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, talk to all of you in the next one :) Lots of love -LP