Chapter 9

CARTER's

"SERGEANTS FALL IN!" I commanded for a group huddle."Alright, seeing what you saw today. What do you think will be necessary for them to begin their specific training?"

"Assessing their physical ability, I'd say they need about three more weeks of PT to start on combat training." Miller responded.

"Cortez? How about rifle training?"

"These people can't even run in a straight line and you want to put a gun in their hands. Yeah..no! I'd say about four to five weeks." He said giving a disappointing glare at the group of trainees.

"I'm in charge of tactics and drills so I'd say I'm ready to start whenever you give the command. I'll start with map and coordinate reading. Once I see how they do, then I'll report the approximate time for the gas chamber, night rescue mission and skydiving. " Ramirez responded with a curt nod.

"Sounds good. We'll finish with high intensity interval training and they're all yours, Ramirez.-"

"Are you sure your little private can handle HIIT? I mean not say much but she was dragging the situation a bit, she couldn't even keep up." Silvia responded with her arms crossed signaling with her head across the courtyard.

I follow her gaze to see the girl I'd given the brace to. She was fiddling around with the velcro of the brace to adjust it to her leg, she seemed concentrated. Her cheeks still red from the run and fly-aways high and proud.

I turn my head to see all the Sergeants staring at me. "You good?" Cortez asked.

I didnt even notice I was staring.

"Yeah, she's got it. She's stronger than she looks." I responded to Silvia who looked bothered in a way I'd never seen her before.

"Sergeants fall out. Make sure your assemble your platoons and do individual HIIT for an hour, when done hand them over to Ramirez, Everyone understood?" An eyebrow raised I look at the team of leaders. "Yes, Sir!"

"Good." I give a final glaze to all of them and leave the group.

————————-an hour later—————————

AVA's POV

After Carter left I played around with the brace until it fitted properly, while adjusting it Harper and Laura both rushed over.

"What was that about?" Laura asked pointing her thumbs where Carter once stood. "And where did he even get that brace from?" Laura asked memorized as if trying to piece everything together.

"I dont even kno-"

"That's besides the point. What did he sayyy??!" Laura grabbed my wrist slightly pulling them, her eyes bug with anticipation.

"He just gave me a piece of advice but it kind of felt like he was scolding me instead of advising me." I look down at the brace remembering his words.

" focus on your success and no one else's"

At that very moment I look up at Harper who gives me a questionable look. "Harper can you train me?"

"Train you?" She raises a brow. "I want to be more like you- in a physical aspect. I want to be able to do what you can do, can you please train me?" Clasping my hands together, I intertwine my fingers and give her a smile.