✰ Questioning; Chapter Eleven ✰

"Keith!" You finally cried, shouting like he would even remember the friendship you had after you disappeared.

He stopped moving, too much emotion running through his veins to move himself. Keith couldn't help it, it was just the affect y/n had on him.

"..Y/N!"

...

Keith had never felt such a rush of energy in his entire life.

He had never experienced one as adrenaline-pumping as he felt surging through his veins in that moment. Not even the encouragement to wake up every morning, wait outside your dorm and be in your presence at the Garrison. It just didn't compare to what he felt spurting and sprouting within him.

It was like his entire body was bursting at the seams, screaming at him to cherish whatever was forcing the emotions he felt out of him. To rush right up to it and let it know what kind of energy and happiness he was empowered with.

And so he did.

He sprinted, ran, and bolted so fast that he couldn't feel his own feet hit the ground below.

You watched him stand still and quiet, waiting for him to do something, before he began to run towards you. Not just a run or a jog, oh no, but a dead-on sprint. You, having not having heard him say anything since he responded to his name with your own, began to grow concerned.

Slight panic overcame you, but it was all washed away; like sand on your toes before waves lap at your feet washes it all away.

He ran, bolted, sprinted the distance of the room before he stopped right in front of you, picking you up and swinging you around once for good measure. He put you down, breathing heavily, smiling like a child.

"Y/n," He spoke, thick and clear like honey, all the while looking down at you. He was smiling, something he hadn't done in so long that his dry lips tore. It wasn't a longing smile, it was.. excited. He was excited.

He missed you. Everything you did together had made him ache, but he could already see himself doing it all over again and appreciating it, holding it right and never letting go.

Keith was significantly taller than before, making you have to look up higher to meet his shining eyes' gaze. You were shocked in that moment by his sudden outburst and how he swung you around, but you didn't complain.

"Hello again." You grinned softly. You knew him all too well, it wouldn't be sweet melancholy for long. It was a smart attempt to get on his good side, but it was in vain.

You were right. His soft, fond expression was ruined as his eyebrows creased and his fists clenched, so tightly that his knuckles were white underneath this universal guardian armor.

"..Keith,-"

"I missed you. You broke your promise." He said quietly, looking at his feet.

"I didn't think getting attacked by tyrannical aliens was in the job description." You muttered, clawing desperately to bring back the joy he was showing before. Happy Keith felt right, sad Keith felt wrong.

"I want to be proud of you, for staying behind."

"Keith-"

"But you closed the hatch on yourself, Y/n." He frowned.

Silence lingered in the air for a few long minutes.

"Well," You sighed. "I'm here now, take it or leave it." You finished. You didn't want to be guilty. You couldn't be guilty. You wouldn't stay if you had to deal with it, and you wanted to stay almost as badly as you wanted to be near your best friend, the best friend you had never forgotten.