✛ We're Alright; Chapter Twenty-Three ✛

"Nod if you understand." He hisses, gripping tighter. I nod my head, and my neck is freed. Rolling over, I cough and hack like I'd drunken vinegar. "Love her while you have time, you'll wish you'd never loved her in the first place. You'll wish you'd never rescued her at all."

.+0+.

The following morning, Y/n decided to meet Keith in the morning and walk to breakfast together. However, when he finally answered his door, he looked like the epitome of human hell. Dark bags dragged heavily under his eyes, which were darker and duller than normal. His whole appearance was disheveled, and his neck had more hand-made bruises than the last time you saw him. Last night was clearly rough.

"Keith, you look awful. Are you alright?" You ask, touching his cheekbone that pressed through the skin too boldly. His cheek is damp, and he doesn't use lotion. He nods into your palm, holding your hand tight against his cheek, savoring the warmth. "Bad night's sleep. Nightmares." He grumbles.

Today, he has to carry on like someone who's life hadn't been threatened. He has to act like someone hadn't threatened to kill him. He's been on edge all night, standing outside of your room, wondering if he should go in and protect you, hold you, yet not wanting to push things too fast. How would he explain himself? He can't tell you what happened, that puts everyone onboard at risk. And he can't even warn you to stay away from Lotor, you'd think he hasn't learned at all from your last fight. He's trapped, and the walls are closing in at a million miles a second, too soon for him to think of an escape.

"I can bring you food if you want." You offer. "You look like you need sleep-"

"No." He says immediately, touching your shoulder roughly, a precaution so he doesn't topple over from his fatigue. "I'll just. . . I won't train today. I'll relax, and I'll get to be with you."

"But what if you need to fight a battle?" You ask curiously. He sighs, pulling you in close.

"We'll be fine today. We all deserve a break, and I think the universe can make that happen for the people who defend it." You smile at his words. If all the paladins deserve anything, it's a rest period. "Let's eat."

When the two walk into the dining area together, with arms wrapped around each other and Keith's lips pressed wholesomely on Y/n's forehead, most chuckle or say some silent commentary. Lotor only vaguely scowls, drinking from his cup to hide his disgust. He makes eye contact with the Red Paladin. Within the war they're already fighting, they've started a second, and they both have really only one thing to lose. The same thing. The same girl.

"Allura, I'm not training today. Too much on my plate." Keith says, sitting to the side of his girl, with Lotor seated on the other. The two competitors chew a first bite silently, yet aggressively in an indescribable way. "Gonna spend it with Y/n. Maybe go for a ride in my lion if you're okay with it."

"You wouldn't mind if I tagged along, would you? I haven't any plans." Lotor asks with a smirk and a shrug. Keith stirs, bothered.

"I don't mind, but it's Keith's lion." You reply, turning to the side away from Lotor, where Keith sits. "What do you think?"

Keith snarls. "I think I'd actually prefer if it was just the two of us. Alone. Maybe you can come some other time."

"You won't even notice I'm there." The other insists.

Shiro shrugs, looking to his right hand man. "I'd say take him with you. You wouldn't want to be left alone in the castle when you didn't really know anyone, would you?" He offers. Keith groans, very visually and audibly annoyed. He had an entire morning (sort of) planned out, just him and you. Alone. Who would have guessed that exposing said plan would get it spoiled?