Chapter 6

Chapter 6

                Clarice’s face was blank and pale. Her usual glowing hazel eyes were dull and lifeless.

                “Clarice?” I asked cautiously, dropping the tests that were in my palms.

                I made my way over to Clarice, as she stared down at her fingers. He pale pink lips began to quiver, as she took in a deep breath. “It’s really happening, isn’t it?” she asked, voice cracking.

                She dropped her head low, as a trail of black tears rolled down from her corner of her eyes, down her cheeks. I wiped the smudged mascara below her eyes, rubbing her back gently. “Clarice, it’s going to be okay. You know that, right?”

                Clarice sobbed, shaking her head. “Don’t lie to me, Aerial. I’m pregnant, and you know it.” She cried, hiccupping.

                “I swear Clarice. Even if everybody leaves, I’ll still be here. I promise.” I assured.

                Clarice sucked in a deep breath of air, giving me a weak smile. “I really don’t deserve your help, Aerial. After everything I’ve done to you for the past two years, I really don’t.”

                A returned her a small smile. “It’s fine.”

                Clarice laughed, smiling suddenly with hope. “Daniel’s going to be happy, at least. He loves me.” She leaned her head against my shoulder.

                I wasn’t too sure of what Clarice said. I personally didn’t think Daniel was going to be happy with the fact that he was going to be a father. He would never be able to give up his freedom and lifestyle.

                “Yeah, I’m sure he will.” I muttered.

*

                I went to the doctors with Clarice the next week after she took the pregnancy tests. We wanted to make sure that Clarice was for sure pregnant. And not surprisingly, she was. I mean, what can you expect before you go to the doctors to confirm your pregnancy after you got four positive test results?

                 I came home later that night, completely tired and groggily from visiting the doctors with Clarice. So, I was startled when I saw my father in the living room.

                But, I wasn’t surprised to find his head hanging over the couch, legs all sprawled out. He was hopelessly hung over from wherever he went last night.

                “Dad, get up.” I said, shaking his shoulder.

                He let out a grunt, unwilling to open his eyes.

                Getting frustrated, I spoke up louder this time. “Dad, go sleep in your room.”