Chapter 21

Thanks for all the votes! As a treat, I'm going to let you guys pick whose point of view you want to hear from in the next chapter (or the chapter after that). Vote, and comment down below for either Alex, Hayden, or Clarice!

Chapter 21

                I don’t know how long I’ve been hiding in Alex’s dark room. All I remembered was that I started to cover my ears once I heard the sound of glass shattering.

                “You don’t belong in this house!” Alex’s mother screeched, as tears streamed down my face. I could almost picture a plate being thrown across the room, as Alex’s father shouted back at her.

                Hearing the sound of glass being intentionally broken made me remember my father being drunk weeks ago, throwing wine glasses all over the kitchen floor. I remember the hatred look in his eyes when I took the glasses away from him, trying to stop him from being violent.

                I cradled myself by pressed my knees against my chest, and clamping my hands over my ears to muffle the noise.

                I just wanted it all to stop.

                I don’t know how long it took until everything went silent.

                It could’ve been hours of me crouching behind Alex’s bed with fear, for all I know.

                Suddenly, I saw a light peek from the door, as it slowly creaked open. I didn’t dare look up, as I buried my head into my knees.

                What if it was his father?

                What if he wanted to hurt me?

                “Aerial?” a soft voice asked. “Where are you?”

                I was trembling with fear, as I pushed myself against the wall.

                I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, as I flinched at the sudden touch. I nervously looked over to my right, staring at Alex. He looked like a mess, completely stressed out and tired.

                “Aerial, have you been crying?” he asked me worriedly, wiping the tears away that were trailing down my cheeks.

                He pulled me towards him, as he wrapped his arms around me protectively. I buried my face into his chest, as I began to sob. “It was so loud, Alex.” I croaked. “It was so damn loud.”

                Alex sighed, as he rubbed circles on my back. “I’m sorry, Aerial.” He soothed, kissing the top of my head. “He’s gone now.”

                I gulped, as I squeezed my eyes shut. “He’s not going to take you away from me, is he?”

                Alex shook his head, holding my hands, and giving them an assuring squeeze. “I’m not going anywhere.” He muttered into my head. “I’m staying right here, with you.”

                I pulled away from him, looking into his eyes with my blurry vision. I honestly didn’t know what I would do without him. “Do you promise, Alex?” I asked.

                Alex brushed a strand of my messy dark hair behind my ears, leaning in to give me a peck on my forehead. “I promise, Aerial.”

                We stayed like that for the entire night. He held me, as I rested my head on his shoulder. It just felt so right to be in his arms. I could stay in them forever, and I would be perfectly fine with it. Because whenever I was with Alex, everything felt right.